Help choosing a Hotel in Burgundy

Jan 14th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Help choosing a Hotel in Burgundy

Late April, we're planning on spending 3 nights in Burgundy and have targeted the Cote de Nuits. We'd love any comments or suggestions as we whittle down our choices from:

Chateau Andre Ziltener
Chateau de Gilly
Castel de Tres Girard
Chateau de Saulon
Hotel Le Richborg

At the top of our prority list will be the room. After spending a week on a river barge we'll be looking to stretch out in a magical room. Food will be high on the list, but by the time we get there, we'll have had our fill of haut cusine (the "Barge" is ultra luxurious). We're also looking for comfortable surroundings, but nothing too stuffy. I'm leaving my Tux at home. lol

So, anyone with an opinion is welcome to share it.

Thanks.
Jan 14th, 2007, 01:27 PM

The Château de Gilly is made up of an old monastery. The hotel is a member of the prestigious Relais et Châteaux group, which generally guarantees something special and luxurious. Two of my friends have stayed there and liked it quite a lot. It's well located, too.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Underhill, thanks for the input.

Sorry its taken so long to reply.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 12:02 PM

We stayed two times at Chateau de Saulon. Reasonably priced, beautiful park, rooms o.k., excellent restaurant and good location for trips by car. Would stay there again.

Chateau de Gilly is very expensive and snobbish. You will feel comfortable there if you are driving a Porsche.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 12:25 PM

Check out Le Cep in Beaune. We enjoyed it very much and had a large,beautiful room
Jan 23rd, 2007, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Since I'll only be driving either an Audi A4 or a BMW 3 series, I'd better pass on Gilley. lol

I have to say I'm leaning toward the Chateau Ziltener. I really don't know why, but I keep coming back to it.

Thanks for the replies.
Jan 24th, 2007, 02:28 AM

A friend from Houston spent 3 days last March at Ziltener and really enjoyed it. He only wished he had a car there because it is right in the middle of the vineyards, but if you have one...

Welcome to Cote d'Or!
coco
Jan 24th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Coco,

Will "Spring be Sprung" in late April? Will the vinyards be sprouting color or will it still be brown?

Thasnks.