Looking for a beautiful hotel in Burgundy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my mother's last trip to France and our first time in Burgundy. We are spending 2 weeks in Paris and 1 week on barge in Provence. We are looking for 5 nights in a charming,perhaps elegant, comfortable hotel in Burgundy and the price does not matter, we just want a fantastic experience in a great hotel, preferrably small hotel, small village, with casual restaurants nearby. My mother likes to paint watercolors and just hang out. I really appreciate your help!!!!
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 05:36 PM

"Last trip to France" sounds so poignant.

Try perhaps the Chateau d'Ige in the beautiful vineyards/ countryside just NW of Macon:

Château d'Igé, Hôtel - Restaurant, route du Château, 71960 IGÉ
Tél. 03 85 33 33 99 - Fax 03 85 33 41 41

For nearby restuarants -- if you tire of dining at the Chateau: Remember the Hotel de Bourgogne, in nearby Cluny.

We thought it looked too old-fashioned/ frumpy and avoided it for years, in multiple trips to the Cluny area.

Then we took the plunge and WHAT a taste of the *old* Burgundy and the *old* bourgeois style of restaurant.

Impeccable service, great local dishes, assiduous attention to our every need but NO swank (or as we say now "'tude&quot
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 07:50 PM

tedgale beat me to th erecommendation for the Château d'Igé, a wonderful spot.

Another possibility would be Le Vieux Moulin in the hamlet of Bouilland, not far from Savigny-lès-Beaune and Beaune itself. It's positively bucolic, and the inn's restaurant gets 1* from the Michelin guide. Ask for a room in the "vieux batiment" or a traditional room in the newer building, not one of the modern rooms.

You might also consider staying in Beaune itself, which has a number of pleasant hotels.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank You for your suggestions!! I am stuck between Chateau d'Ige or Hotel Champ des Oiseaux in Troyes. The Chateau d'Ige appears to have more garden area to walk around. Is one obliged to eat in the Chateaus restaurant? and in Igy are there more casual restaurants? Again thank you Sue
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 12:29 PM

Igé (pronounced ee-jay) is just a small village. When we were there I didn't see anywhere to eat besides the château's dining room, which was quite good--but you can always hop in the car and go to a neighboring town. The breakfasts at the château are fabulous; at least once the hotel has won the best-breakfast award given by the Relais et Châteaux group.

Troyes can in no way be considered a small village--it's quite a large town.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 01:22 PM
ira

Hi Underhill,

>Another possibility would be Le Vieux Moulin in the hamlet of Bouilland,...

Tell me more, please.

Is this the Hostellerie de Vieux Moulin?

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 02:10 PM

Yes. I tused to one of our great favorites, but on our last visit there was a new owner. He's doing an excellent job with the restaurant (still has its Michelin star), but less so with upkeep of the inn. There are 3 buildings: the original (ancien batiment); the first new one, which has traditionally furnished rooms that are very nicely decorated; and the modern wing, which has large rooms but feels like a motel. I suspect the latter are used for small conferences. So if you go, and I do love the place, choose one of the traditional rooms.

Bouilland is a wee hamlet in what's known as Swiss Burgundy. It's on a lesser road between Dijon and Beaune and can be reached in either direction; very scenic drive. Nearby is the ancient church of Ste-Margeurite; other than that the only action is watching the cows go up to and come back down from their pasture. We love the quiet and greenery.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 03:52 PM

Chateau d'Ige is absolutely wonderful!
I was there in October a few years ago, and the gardens were marvelous even then,after a cold spell. The Maconnais area where it is located is just lovely.
I was only at this hotel for 2 nights, and really hated to leave. The owner is a lovely woman and she and her staff make you feel so welcome. I would love to stay there for 5 nights!
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 04:09 PM

I also stayed at the Château d'Igé a few years ago. I had dinner, spend the night and had breakfast there. It was great.

As Underhill mentioned, Igé is a hamlet, so very, very small. Meals, service and atmosphere at the Château are super. I never thought of having a meal elsewhere.

I highly recommend it.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 05:12 AM
ira

Hi Underhill,

Thanks for your reply.

When was your last visit?

The website shows the new rooms, and they seem to be recently constructed/renovated.

http://www.le-moulin-de-bouilland.com/

Old Feb 18th, 2006, 05:24 AM

Le Cep in Beaune. Center of Burgundy. I travel there on business frequently and have enjoyed the hospitality and location.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 10:56 AM

Ira,

Our last visit was in September 2004. I'll take a look at the web site you posted.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 11:01 AM

Ira,

Those look like the rooms we had. They are quite spacious, with nice modern bathrooms. The problem was upkeep--there was a bad stain under the table in our room, and neither of our two rooms was as attractive as the traditional ones. Our favorite, which I think was room #12, was upstairs; it had a very large bathroom with a slanted skylight. From the oversized tub my husband could lie back and watch cows grazing on the hillside behind the building--very relaxing. The furnishings were French country, all done in excellent taste by the wife of the original owner, Jean-Pierra Silva. He now has a small, reservation-only restaurant near Grasse.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. We have a reservation at Chateau d'Ige for 4 nights
It sounds perfect! We are going to stay one night in Dijon at the Sofitel Hotel The next day I will rent a standard car, of which I haven't driven a standard in 15 years...... it will be OK. Then drive to Lyon to catch a flight to London then back to Hawaii. Underhill I am going to email you to get your beautifully written Burgundy report. Aloha
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 04:42 AM

Dear Palione:

Throughout my trips through Burgundy, two places that I have stayed in stand out in my mind: La Lucarne aux Chouettes ( The Owl's Nest) in Villenueve sur Yonne, outside of the town of Sens, and the Chateau de Bellecroix in Chagny, about 10 miles south of Beaune. For detailed info about both places, I suggest you consult the Fodor's Guide to Hotels and Country Inns of Character and Charm in France. Both places are listed and have detailed write-ups about them..

Regards..
Luis
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 12:54 PM

Last year we finally had an opportunity to book a couple of nights at Le Vieux Moulin. We arrived just in time for lunch, which turned out to be the worst of our trip. We paid for the night and got out of there.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 01:41 PM

That's too bad, Ron--our dinner was excellent. How was your room? I'm hoping that things don't go downhill, as it was such a lovely, lovely place to spend a couple of days.