Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help!! Booking today - fly to Naples or Rome for Positano??

Feb 23rd, 2008, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

OK, I am totally tired now....

After scouring flights for months, I was ready to book through the airline for our trip in May to Positano/Capri.

Then Ira (thanks Ira - no, really, thanks!) sent me the link to 1800flyeurope, and the same flight is $428 cheaper.

I checked out 1800flyeurope, and from what I can tell they have a pretty good reputation. So then poking around the boards here, I decided to go back and check out flight from Bos to Rome.

Well, we could save another $475 this way, AND they have a non-stop flight BOS to Rome.

My fear is that it is on Alitalia, and I know how they are with strikes... I want this to be a realxing, hassle free time!

But, I AM curious, how difficult it is to get from Rome to wherever we would go to pick up the ferry to Capri. We are not great figuring out International train schedules, etc.

How long time-wise are we talking, and where would we go to to get the ferry? Salerno?

What is the best alternative - train, private driver? What would be approximate costs of each.

Time would be a consideration obviously on our return. The flight leaves at 12N, so I assume we would have to be at the Rome airport @9am. Is it possible to get from Positano to Rome in that timeframe on a Saturday morning?

Lastly, and maybe more importantly for us, what is the "hassle factor"? $475 is alot of money to us, but we don't want to be running here and there and exhausted before we even get there!

Thanks everyone for your help. I am determined to get this done today!!
Feb 23rd, 2008, 04:07 AM

Hi Wanderer - If fares were similar, Naples would obviously be the better choice.

If there is a BIG saving with airfare, Rome is a viable alternative if you don't mind the inconvenience.

Travel time? Fastest train journey from Fiumicino airport (- via Roma Termini) to Naples (- Napoli Centrale) takes 2 hrs 16'.
Fare: € 47 one way.

For train timetables see:
http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

From Naples station it's a short tram (- or taxi) ride to the port (- Molo Beverello) for hydrofoils/ferries to Capri.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Feb 23rd, 2008, 04:14 AM

'Is it possible to get from Positano to Rome in that timeframe on a Saturday morning?'

The 07.10 AT train from Napoli Centrale gets you into FCO airport at 09.23.

To be at Naples station for 07.10 you'd need to book a taxi/limo transfer (- approx. € 100) from Positano.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Feb 23rd, 2008, 04:17 AM

The only way you could get from Positano to Rome's Fiumicino airport by 9 am would be with a private limousine, which would cost you +/- 300 Euro or about $ 445 at today's exchange rate.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 04:31 AM
ira

Hi W,

Well lucky you - almost a $1000 savings.

You can now add 1 day to your visit.

Leave Capri the day before flying home.

Spend the night in Rome.

Take a taxi to FCO.

Feb 23rd, 2008, 04:58 AM

I would fly into Rome, train to Naples, then hire a driver to Positano. Then, as Ira suggested, stay your last night in Rome to save yourself from rushing so much on the morning of your departure.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

If I am reading all this right, though, it is @ 100E for a limo/taxi from Positano to Naples - each way. That's 200E, then a hotel in Rome, which I assume is another 200E. We've then saved only $75 and increased our "hassle factor".

Although I like the idea of spending the night in Rome (on of my favorite cities) so that we are not rushed in the AM, we cannot get an extra day off at work, so it means we would be flying home Sunday, and having to work the next day. Not horrible, but I always like the day off after a European trip to get back to "normal".

Gives us alot to think about, but given it seems it is nearly as expensive to do the train/limo thing, we may just book the Naples leg.

Many, many thanks again to Ira, who even this way saved me $420!!
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:31 AM

Wanderer1 would you mind taking the time to let us know the details of these flights that you priced and ultimately booked? Am I correct in understanding that you priced the direct Boston-Rome flight on the Alitalia site and found it for $428 less on the discount site? I would love to read the details...

Also, do you earn airline miles when booking with these discount sites?
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

I ended up choosing convenience over $$ and booked the Swiss Int'l flight through 1800flyeurope. They were very professional and helpful.

The total was $2,248, which is alot, but was $328 less than the same flight on swiss intl site. The swiss intl site price actual went down a little, as last night it was $2658.

The BOS to Rome flight on Alitalia is $2151 for non-stop for our dates. On 1800flyeurope, it is $1,773 - a difference of $378. Again, this flight was higher last night - I think it was $2,250.

Something strange - though nothing surprises me now - happened on the Alitalia site. I checked Bos to Naples once again this AM, and it showed a promo fare for $1832. I ran down to tell my husband, since even though the return was at 7:30am, it was $416 off even 1800flyeurope.

By the time I got back upstairs and checked 1800flyeurope to see if they had anything similar, the promo on Alitalia was gone. It wasn't there first thing this AM (at 6am) and gone by 9am. I guess you gotta grab those when you see them.

Oh well, I am happy to have saved $328!!