Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help? Any mini 'escapes' feasible from Frankfurt Airport??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have to travel back to Norway for a very sad reason...my husband's father was *just* diagnosed w/liver cancer
& it's untreatable. Is too far gone. :'-{

We're hurrying back as fast as possible,
as he's also developed 2 blood clots in his legs.

Could *really* use your help!!
We understandably had few options for tickets...but managed to finally locate a few mileage plus seats...and hope to cobble together enough points due to family lending us some.

What we specifically need help with now is...this is going to be one LONG, long trip.

Both due to journey & a weight being upon our shoulders. To top it off, our layover is 6hrs or so in Franfurt's airport.
I was just wondering. Once when that happened through France...we hit the Metro...& actually got to see Notre Dame. (my only time in Paris!)

Now, I'm wondering...is there any way we could stretch our legs & see something that's cool in Frankfurt? To help make the time go faster? We'll already have so many hours to 'brood' with & be down.
Any way you could help us w/a mini mental break during that time?
Thanks so very much!!
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Is there a subway that comes right out of the airport like in Paris? (bahnen?) Thanks again
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

Anything come to mind to do in Frankfurt fairly close to airport?

Ideas would be most appreciated.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 01:00 AM

Topping this for you. There is a rail station at the Frankfort airp[ort from which you could easily get into town.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 01:03 AM

(1) You may take a taxi and drive to Königstein. Stroll through the picturesque old town and visit the romantic castle. You may see a typical yet small piece of Germany close to the airport. The drive should be 15 minutes or so.
(2) You may take a taxi or a rental car to Kloster Eberbach in Oestrich-Winkel at the Rhine. Kloster Eberbach is an ancient monastery where "The Name of the Rose" was filmed. They also produce very good wine and offer tastings. You may also see a part of the Rhine valley.
(3) You may take the train to the city of Frankfurt, stroll through the city (Frankfurt is a very modern city and has only a few old houses at the "Römer&quot and visit one or two of the museums. For information of Frankfurt, visit:
http://www.frankfurt.de/sixcms/detail.php?id=317596
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 01:03 AM

this is my second post .. don't know what happened to first response.

trains directly from airport go to MAINZ, www.mainz.de, click on swiss cross for english.

it takes 18 minutes or so to town, see the chagalls at church and have a nice snack in any of the quaint restaurants.

the trains are very frequent. some friends just did this and had plenty of time.

buy tickets easily from machine dispenser. this is a more manageable smaller town which i think will be more relaxing than Frankfurt itself.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 01:16 AM

If you choose to see a little of a city you will find that Frankfurt has the better museums and galleries, but Mainz is equally near the airport on the metro (S-Bahn) and has more buildings from the last two centuries, and better places to stroll.

Ben Haines, London
[email protected]
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 02:57 AM

Remeber though:
If you are taking a connecting flight your second boarding pass may not be issued when you leave N

It is very easy to pick up your boarding pass -- there is an express desk right by the front door, for example.

If you have 6 hours between flights, remember to check the departure gate n the overhead boards when you return to the airport: Frankfurt is so busy that the departure gate is often changed AFTER a boarding pass is issued. The pass is still vaid but DO check the gate.

On the up-side, no plane that has your luggage aboard will leave, nowadays, without you.

I have gone into Frankfurt a couple of times when laying over for a few hours. I took the commuter train/ subway train to the central square (a reconstruction after WW2) wandered down to the river and crossed over to their museum area on the far bank. I enjoyed the very modern Kunsthandwerk Museum: applied arts (ceramics, furniture) including some very nice Art Nouveau stuff -- the sort of low-key, undemanding visit that might suit your need to unwind on this sad and stressful journey.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 09:10 AM

According to the website for Frankfurt Airport, most flights to Norway are either Lufthansa or SAS and these airlines use Terminal 1. That is fortunate. The regional bahnhof is underground across the street from Terminal 1. You get to it by going down stairs just inside the street side of the great hall. Getting to the Regionalbf from Terminal 2 is more complicated and takes more time.

Check out the Frankfurt Metro website at www.rmv.de. It has maps of the system. Regional trains and some S-bahns go into the main station and end there. If you don't want to go there, most of the S-bahns leaving from track 1 go through the S-bahn station (tief)under the Hbf and connect to other trains in the metro system.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so very much for the terrific ideas! Appreciate it.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 10:06 AM

We found the Frankfort Airport very easy to get around. The trains are very convenient so don't be afraid to venture out. There is an Information area with helpful and English speaking staff. They can give you lots of good advise. We missed a plane and they helped us find a hotel close by that had a free shuttle, etc. God Bless you and give you peace.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 06:20 PM

I have gotten a taxi at the Hamburg airport and told the driver I wanted to “tour” as much as possible for $40 and X hours. It was delightful. She parked different places, got out and explained things to me. We even exchanged letters afterward. I am sure you could do the same in Frankfurt.

I have also taken a 2 hour walking tour of the old part of Frankfurt. Call any big hotel and speak to the concierge. They could tell you when and where. You may need to taxi to a hotel to pick up the tour.