Help--Amalfi Coast itinerary

Sep 7th, 2003, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Help--Amalfi Coast itinerary

Can anyone recommend what cities/towns to visit in this area and for how long. We have a total of 9 days for travel. We will start in Napoli and thought we'd head to Pompeii and Sorrento, then on to Capri, and possibly down the coast a little ways. We're not sure how far and where?? Will we need/want 9 days in this area?

We went to Tuscany last year and loved it, so we thought we'd end our trip there for 2-3 days if we had time. Not sure if this will be the case or not??

Thanks!
Sep 7th, 2003, 08:20 PM

Dear Okie, we went to Tuscany, Umbria and Sorrento last year, spending 4 nights in Sorrento. Like you, I loved Tuscany, loved Umbria as much if not more. we had to force ourselves not to repeat this year but will go again next year. There are many towns we just didn't have time to see. I did not love Sorrento.To be honest, I didnt' even like it that much but I'm glad I went since it was somewhere new and you always learn something. Pompeii was a great walk through history and I'd definitely recommend it. Of course if you haven't been to Rome,that's an unbeatable walk through history. Capri is very pretty just walking around the town.The town of Amalfi, I didn't find charming at all. Perhaps it is but there are so many tourists arriving on tour buses that it's hared to see the town through the crowds. As to how lon to spend, 4 nights was too long for us.Wish we had made it 1 or 2 nights so we could see Pompeii, Herculaneum and Capri. But perhaps you could even make them a day trip from Naples. I've heard Positano is nice but didn't make it there - it was either Amalfi or Positano so not knowing either we opted for Amalfi.Hope this helps.If you haven't been to Cortona or Pienza or Assisi you may want to consider heading
Sep 8th, 2003, 01:15 AM

I'd agree with the last messenger- I was disappointed with Sorrento and Amalfi and Capri. We were staying in Positano which is very pretty clinging to the sheer rock face overlooking the bay but which has limited attractions in the town itself. Having travelled around most of Italy, the Amalfi coast is my least favourite so far. I did enjoy a long day in Pompeii- loads to see and I did love Ravello, perched high above Amalfi. Naples is great- lively, dirty and full of atmosphere.
Sep 8th, 2003, 04:44 AM
jmv

First time we went to Amalfi coast I budgeted 6 days/nights and booked 2 in Positano to start reasoning that we'd move along the coast and decide upon seeing the places where to stay the other 4 nights. My husband took one look at Positano, fell in love with it and booked all 6 days there. We've since returned twice and will be there again later this month--this time for 3 nights and then 2 on Capri--as part of a 22 day trip in Italy. We're staying the two nights on Capri because we'll be with two other couples who are anxious to see it and everything I've read says it's best when the tourists have left for the night. We plan to take a boat for a day trip to Amalfi out of Positano with a side trip by bus to Ravello from there. Also plan a side trip to Sorrento from Capri (during the day while the tourists are filling up the squares in Capri) Rest of the time will just be spent soaking up the views in Positano, drinking $6 a bottle Santa Margherita Pino Grigio and lemoncello and relaxing, maybe a shopping and sightseeing walk or two. Positano is one of our 7 favorite places in Europe. Even so, I don't think I'd allot 9 days there given all the other things there are to see/do in Italy. For a first trip 6 or at the most 7 days would seem to be about right, giving you plenty of time to explore and still relax. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Sep 8th, 2003, 05:08 AM

We spent two nights in Sorrento, three nights in Positano, and two nights in Capri. We loved each destination. (We did not, however, care for Naples. It just goes to show that everyone is different.) We loved Sorrento....great views, great swimming, excellent dining, fun evening atmosphere, and good shopping. Positano is beyond compare.....gorgeous, as is Capri. We felt we spent the right amount of time in all of those places, plus we did Rome on the front end and the back end. The Amalfi coast is a good way to factor in some relaxation in your itinerary. If you are the type that likes to be on the go, constantly sightseeing... it might not have enough to retain your attention. We were happy just to sit on the beach, swim in the bay of Naples, peruse the local shops, enjoy the great scenery, and have some nice meals. It was a good mix: the hustle and bustle and sightseeing of Rome and the relaxation of the Amalfi coast. Enjoy, whatever you choose.