any ideas on amalfi coast vacation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it will be our first trip to the amalfi coast and have put together what we feel is a workable itenerary.
may 7th- arrive poitano from naples airport
may 8th- capri
may 9th-sorrento
may 10th-amalfi,ravello,vietri sul mare
may 11-free to repeat any
may 12-leave for naples spending part of the day in pompeii
think it's doable? also, is taxi or car service cheaper from naples to positano? thanks!
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 08:41 AM

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but it looks like you have a bunch of one nighters lined up for your stay on the Amalfi Coast. With five days, you'd be better off basing yourselves in either Sorrento or Positano and day tripping from there to: Amalfi, Ravello, and Capri. Travel between places in Italy does not always go according to plan, and if you are constantly changing hotels, you're going to spend much of your five days in transit, lugging suitcases. Not much fun.

Car service from Naples to Positano ( it's about an hour and a half drive) will cost you about 110E. If you'd like the name of a driver, I can recommend the Gargiulos, who can be reached at: tourofitaly.com and/or you can try any number of other drivers constantly recommended here on the forum.

Good luck!
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 09:47 AM
ira

I too am wondering if you are planning on staying in one hotel.

Old Mar 27th, 2005, 10:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Weadles/Ira, I looked at other posts, and Ctroum is basing herself/himself in Positano. These are day trips.

Ctroum, yes, you can do it, but make it a tentative itinerary, since sometimes the ferry to and from Capri is not running due to sea conditions. Sometimes there's just one boat (in the morning), not that it would be a horrible thing to get stranded in Capri!
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 07:50 AM

I'd flip your itinerary - that is to say, I would stay in Sorrento, kind of middle of all you've outlined - and day trip as the other suggested because Positano is south and rather than start in positano, I'd see Capri and Sorrento and then day trip down to Positano. The Amalfi coast is one of the most beautiful places! You might - if you are flexible - check each morning and go to Capri on a morning when the weather is beautiful but most importantly the seas are CALM. That way you will be able to get into the Blue Grotto. If there is any swell at all they won't take you inside for fear of tragedy but you'll be able to peak in a little. A taxi from Naples to Positano will cost 4 fortunes, there are day trips at most hotels in Sorrento that will give you a nice relaxing day, with stops down the coast in Positano and Amalfi.

You'll have a more relaxing time if you day trip from one place: Sorrento is in my top ten of cities and I've been a lot of places - it is magnificent. I have stayed at several hotels there if you want suggestions. Mio marito (my husband) and I leave for Italy on May 3 and we can't wait. It will be our 5th trip.
ArrivederLa, e buon viaggio!

Old Mar 30th, 2005, 04:53 AM

CT - A pre-booked car service will usually be cheaper than an airport taxi.
The going rate from Naples airport to Positano is about € 100.00.

Here are a few Positano-based limo services you could contact for a quote:

www.flaviogioia.com
www.positanocarservice.com
www.limocarservice.net

A cheaper alternative is to take the Airport Shuttle bus (www.curreriviaggi.it) to Sorrento, and catch the Positano bus from there ...

Hope this helps ...

Steve