Heidelberg hotel

Search

Heidelberg hotel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heidelberg hotel

I am trying ot find a nice hotel in Heidelberg for a trip in August. I think I am supposed to stay near the historic district. It is for a conference and the choices are:

Hotel Schönberger Hof
Neckar Hotel
Holländer Hof
Vier-Jahreszeiten
Denner Hotel
Der Europäische Hof
Tannhäuser
Crowne Plaza

all near the congress center and:

Best Western Alt Heidelberg
Nassauer Hof
Hotel am Rathaus
Best Western Rega Hotel
Hotel Perkeo
Marriott Hotel
Garni am Kornmarkt
nh Heidelberg
Hotel am Schloss
Central
Hotel Acor

about 1-3 km from the congress center

The Der Europäische Hof is very nice from what I have read but rather pricey.

Any other recommedations for a clean nice hotel - somehthing with non-smoking rooms if possible?
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 01:03 PM

Check out Hotel Goldner Hecht. It's a great location, nice little hotel, and very reasonably priced.

http://www.hotel-goldener-hecht.de/index.html
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 06:38 PM

I personally like the Europaeische Hof, but it is a bit pricey, I agree. I stayed there on business.I have seen the Crown Plaza from the outside. It has a great location, right in the center where several trams, buses converge. Usually, the Holiday Inn/Crown Plaza properties in Europe are quite a bit more upscale in Germany than here in the US. I'm sure you couldn't go wrong there either.

All larger hotels in Germany offer non-smoking rooms, it's just a matter if one is available or a previous guest has followed the non-smoking rule.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 07:43 AM
JN

We stayed at Gasthof Backmulde in the old part of town. Very clean, simple rooms and terrific breakfast for around 100 Euro/nt. The restaurant also is highly regarded. It's a bit hard to find, but close to the market square and university.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 05:54 PM

I stayed at the Nassauer Hof about 30 years ago and found it to be OK
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 01:13 AM
lawchick

Though not the most glamorous, I like the Hollander Hof. Which is right in the historic district and you can have a view of the bridge.

http://www.hollaender-hof.de/index_e.html

I have also stayed in the Marriot, which is quite nice, they have a pool and you can have a view of the rivier - but it is about 15 mins hike into the centre.

Old Dec 12th, 2005, 04:59 AM

Book early for August, especially if it's early in the month - the Formula One race is right down the autobahn and hotel prices skyrocket (and availability is tough!)

The Crowne Plaza is convenient and has all the amenities you would expect - including its own parking garage. Walking distance to downtown. The Marriott has all that, too - but as another poster said - it's a hike to downtown.

The Europa Hof is gorgeous but very pricey.

I typically stay at the Alt Heidelberg. On street parking which can be a pain and no room service (and no bar). Service is excellent, though.

The Hotel Am Schloss, the Garni am Kornmarkt, the Nassauer Hof and the Hotel Goldner Hecht are all downtown (alt stadt) , very nice, and usually have a parking garage nearby that they recommend. I have friends that often stay at the Nassauer Hof and really like it and I've stayed at the others and find them clean, convenient and friendly enough
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 05:10 AM

We just came back yesterday from Heidelberg - and there is no other hotel you should stay at other than the HIP hotel. It's only 6 months old - but definitely worth the experience. www.hip-hotel.de (just click on Zimmer to see the rooms). It only has 15 rooms, so book now, but each room has been decorated as a different city. We stayed in Vienna, Havana, & Zermatt. The owners both work and live in the hotel, and are the most amazingly hospital people you could ever meet. We want to make a trip to the HIP hotel a yearly event.
We also stayed one night in the Art hotel (3 months old) because the HIP was full.. it was nice, modern, and I would recommend it, if I had never seen the HIP!!!!
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 07:52 AM

I stayed at the Best Western Alt Heidelberg three or four years ago. Although I don't remember all the details, I do recall that parking was a problem. They either give or sell you a pass for on-street parking, but there are very few spaces available. This should only be a concern if you are driving.