Reload this Page >

heathrow to london

Search

heathrow to london

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 06:57 AM
Mary

heathrow to london

Apart from 'Rays London transfers' can someone please recommend a company that does the heathrow-london trip. I'm not saying I wont use Ray's - but I'd really like to look into some other options before I book.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:13 AM
Joan

Patrick (who posts on this forum a lot but I believe is on vacation now) uses a company called Swiss Cottage Cars. He is very enthusiastic about them, recommending them very often, but they do not have a website. I guess you can do a search and see what comes up, there is a tele. number he always gives.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:27 AM
janis

Another vote fo Swiss Cottage. I don't have their url or phone number (the only time I used them a friend in London made the arrangements) but they should be easy to locate. Very professional and comparable rates.<BR><BR>But there are many good car services. On a forum like this, one enthusiastic recommendation and you end up with a defacto "official fodor's car service" since many people follow. Same thing happens with certain hotels in Paris, walking tour in London, etc. (On her own, Lori has probably increased Skinner's business sevarl % points.)

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:49 AM
bettyk

Mary, found an old posting I had printed showing the following:<BR><BR>Swiss Cottage Cars - Tel: 44 207 431 2700<BR>London Airport Transfers: [email protected]<BR><BR>If you haven't done so already, you might want to check with your hotel and see who they recommend. <BR><BR>We used Ray Skinner and he is very professional and punctual. Would not hesitate to use him again or recommend him.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 10:57 AM
carl

why not just take the express train from Heathrow to Paddington station and then grab a black cab from Paddington to your hotel? Just a thought and will be lots cheaper. Unless you are carrying tons of luggage (and shame on you if you are)this is the best way to go.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 01:22 PM
janis

The Paddington Express is definitely faster - but not cheaper if there are 2 or more travelers. Car services charge a flat rate while each passenger must pay for a train ticket so it adds up, especially when you add in the cab ride.<BR><BR>When traveling alone I always take the LHR or LGW Express trains, because they are the fastest modes and very reasonable. But when someone is with me it definitely depends on where we are staying, etc. Then a car service often makes sense.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 01:47 PM
Mary

Thanks for the advice. I have considered taking the Heathrow express - but I'm arriving from Australia - with transfers it's a 28 hour flight (I find the moans on this board about 12 hour flights a bit amusing) , on my own, and needing to get to PImlico - a long way from Paddington. I think a car where I can let someone else worry may be better. And no I'm not taking a lot of luggage!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:58 PM
janis

Too bad you aren't flying into LGW. The Gatwick express would deposit you at Victoria station practically on Pimlico's doorstep. The old A! Airbus would have been great for you but that one has been discontinued.<BR><BR>So in your case I would opt for a driver.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 08:35 PM
Sylvia

Mary, another option would be the Airbus. You can take it as far as Marble Arch, then cab it to Pimlico. It might be a bit cheaper for you. Good luck. ***

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 08:42 PM
Prue

Mary,<BR>I can also vouch for London Airport Transfers, as mentioned above - we are also Australian and used them while in London last year. <BR>Very pleasant and efficient and certainly the way to go after that looong flight!