COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Italy--In October or May?

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Becky

Italy--In October or May?

We are doing pre-pre-planning for a trip to Italy. Should we plan to go in May or October? What are the pros and cons of each?

Or do you recommend another time of the year?

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 11:24 AM
me

I think either time would be great. You can see which may have better rates and also check weather sites (worldclimate.com for one) for avg rainful, temps, etc. I've been in March, June and September, each of those times were great.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 11:52 PM
melissa

Hi, I live in Milan and can tell you that global warming has changed our weather so much that nothing is sure, normally October is fresh and cool, so I'd highly reccommend it. May is usually a good period however this year we had rain practilly every day. I'd shoot for October seeing as our summer arrived later than expected and hopefully will stay longer than expected. Have fun, Melissa

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 03:15 AM
Alice Twain

You can have sometimes a rainy May, but October, November ad April are the most raindy months of the year in Italy.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 04:30 AM
Colin

I visited last October and had glorious weather. (Mid to late Eighties Faranheit.)

It had been raining the week before, and it rained the week after I left, so I guess I was lucky !

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 04:50 AM
elaine

I've been to Italy 3 times, always late Sept/early October. Rome was downright hot during the day, cooled off a little at night, the only rain I had in Rome was in the evening. I was glad for air conditioning night or day. Florence was pretty warm too, drizzle once or twice. Venice started off cool (50sF) each morning but by mid-day I ditched the sweater as the temps were in upper 60s or very low 70s..
Rain once or twice.
No one can give you any guarantees, but
I've loved being there in early October.

Come to think of it, I'd love being there at any time.

I have files on the above cities; if you'd like to see them, email me.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:19 AM
Livingston

We just returned in mid May from a week in Florence and Venice. Weather was great, a very brief shower one morning, but always possible to have rained throughout the week. Similar sunshine and/or rain is always possible for October. One thing that is a fact every year is the length of day from sunrise to sunset. I prefer the longer days of May than the shorter days of October. From weather.com for Florence, Italy you can see that on May 15 the sun rises/sets at 5:50am/8:33pm for more than 14 hours sunlight. October 1 it is 7:29am/6:32pm for about 11 hours sunlight. With 3 more hours sunlight then May can be a better choice.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 08:11 AM
carol

I also prefer May for the longer days, and for the absolute profusion of flowers at that time.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Kathy

I went to Italy in October on a bike trip because Oct. is supposed to be the nicest time. It poured on us 7 out of 10 days.....so can't predict Mother Nature. So, with that said, just plan your trip, pack for good and great weather, and keep your fingers crossed. Good or bad weather, you'll love the country AND the great wine!

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Amy

My husband and I returned from our trip to Italy from May 23rd - June 4th. We traveled essentially from Venice to Amalfi and back up to Rome. It only rained one day on our whole trip--one of the days in Siena. Other than that, the weather was beautiful, although quite hot by the time we got to Rome beginning of June. I can't say how the weather is in October but I am sure that you will enjoy any time that you spend there. It is absolutely beautiful there!!

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Vita

I was in Rome, Siena, and Florence last October. There was hardly any rain when I was there. Rome was hot but farther north it was warm during the day and cool in the morning and evening. The only downside was seeing the fields of dead sunflowers in Tuscany.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 07:45 AM

topping

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 09:05 PM
xxx

<<global warming has changed our weather>>

interesting assertion, except for the fact that global warming has not occurred (yet).