Heathrow Questions

Old Mar 7th, 2019, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Heathrow Questions

Going to be passing through Heathrow from US while going/coming from Italy. It's been 25+ years since I've been through Heathrow, so a couple of questions:

1. We need to stay at a hotel one night at the airport. Just a place to lay our head, so nothing fancy. Recommendations?

2. Coming in from Rome, our flight back to the states out of Heathrow is at 11:30 am leaving from Terminal 3. It looks like most flights from Rome to Heathrow arrive at Terminal 5. What would you recommend for time spent getting from Terminal 5 to Terminal 3, considering getting bags, traveling between terminals, going through security and customs (I guess, from Rome-London??). It looks like the earliest flight arrives at Terminal 5 at 9:50 am - 1 hour 40 minutes before the US flight. Too tight?

Thanks.
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 06:46 PM

If your departure flight is out of T-3 I would not stay at T-5 - they are practically in different counties. There are MANY hotels in all price ranges along the north perimeter of the Airport (the Bat Road and A$ are within a very short Hotel Hoppa bus or taxi of T-3.

I'd book a hotel there and take either the Hoppa or a taxi from T-5 to your hotel near T-3 -- in fact I did just that in late December. My BA flight from FRA landed at T-5 and my AA flight went out of T-3 the next day.

OOPS - mis-read the whole thing You are trying to fly in the same morning as your flight home.

Yes that's way, WAAAY too tight on separate tickets. If you are on sep. tickets you really do want to be at LHR the night before. If you do fly in the night before, then follow the advice I struck out . . .
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 11:22 PM

1 hr 40 mins is an impossible connecting time, you need far far more time. You will need to arrive the previous evening as there are no flights arriving from Rome early enough for you to comfortably connect on the same day.

Iím not quite as paranoid as some about having separate tickets, itís been quite normal for years, since the intro of cheap one way fares etc but you do need to allow plenty of time between flights and possibly book a higher flexible fare on one of the tickets in case you miss the flight, then you can pay a fee to change to another.

There is a hotel being built at Terminals 2/3, so depending on your travel dates, you might want to consider it if it is open by the time you travel.

Hilton Garden Inn T2
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 12:55 AM

What Janisj and Odin say; if your flight to the US is at 11:30 am, you really need to be at LHR the night before. I certainly wouldn't attempt this if your flight is on different tickets.
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I should have explained I already bought my US-London tickets on points (at an extremely good price) because, um, we're going to the Warner Brothers Harry Potter Studio tour before heading to Italy (please don't tour-shame me). So we've got a night at Heathrow on arrival and based on the consensus, we'll just fly into London the night before our return flight. Now if I can figure out how to take public transportation to the studio tour . . .

Bests, Terry.
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 08:07 AM

There are National Express coaches from LHR to Watford Junction, approx hourly. Then there is a shuttle bus apparently from Watford Jnc to the studios.

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

https://www.wbstudiotour.co.uk/getting-here
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 09:25 AM

>>we're going to the Warner Brothers Harry Potter Studio tour before heading to Italy (please don't tour-shame me).<<

Why would anyone shame you??? The WB HP studio is really terrific. And as Odin says there is a coach. You can either leave your bags at Left Luggage and head straight to Watford Junction, retrieve the bags when you return and head to the hotel . . . or . . . go to the hotel first, check in and leave the luggage then take the coach. It partly depends on the times.
Old Mar 9th, 2019, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Janisj - I was sort of joking. You know travel all that way and then go to HP Studios. But we read all the books, both with and without our son (we had to steal his copies) and of course saw all the movies. So really looking forward to it!
Old Mar 9th, 2019, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Perfect - just checked and they have buses for about 30 pounds roundtrip. Thanks Odin!
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 10:57 AM

Hotel/Heathroq

Just a suggestion - we've had great experiences with using Priceline for Heathrow-area hotels. Like you, I usually only want a "place to put my head" and Priceline delivers good pricing at many of the airport hotels. Give it a try!
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 11:09 AM

I always used to use priceline for LHR hotels. But just
booking directly or via booking.com will get rates almost as low as PL and I like to know the name of the hotel
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 11:41 AM

That's good information, janisj. We haven't tried to book near Heathrow for a number of years, so it's good to know that other services are meeting the prices. Thanks!
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 09:42 PM

We have flown back to the US from several European cities, changing planes at LHR. They make it as easy as they can for flyers transiting at LHR. Go to Heathrow website and look at connections or connecting flights. Enter your two flight numbers and it will give you explicit difections which probably will include a dedicated bus to take you from tetminal 5 to terminal 3. You will go through security again.
We always stay at Sofitel at Terminal 5. Not budget but good dining options and great service. Attached to terminal. There is a Hilton near Term 4.