Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Have you guys ever had any spooky encounters while travelling before?

Sep 23rd, 2008, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Some claim there are certain cities in Europe where at night... 'visitors' roam the streets. Apparently there were reports of people screaming, of animals noises in the Colosseum some nights. Really spooky when you come to think of it...
Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:43 PM

Only if you believe in that sort of nonsense.
Sep 23rd, 2008, 06:18 PM

Late one night in Plitvice recently, I thought I saw the Devil himself, but it only turned out to be my reflection in the bathroom mirror after drinking slivovitz.

Sep 23rd, 2008, 07:20 PM

The 300 pound prostitute in Frankfurt was pretty spooky.
Sep 24th, 2008, 01:30 AM

My money does get "spirited " away,, hee hee..

Sorry Aleciki, I just don't buy into that sort of stuff.

There is so much history in Europe though that I love to "listen" to the " echos " of the many lives that were lived on the streets and sites I am touring through,, but , sorry, no ghosties, just my vivid imagination.
Sep 24th, 2008, 09:36 AM

I actually had a spooky thing happen - though not quite like those examples.

On a trip to Greece a few years back, I took a photo of the full moon one night through a bus window, without the flash. when the photo got developed (before digital), it looked like someone's reflection had showed up in the window of the bus, but it should have been my travelling companion who was in the window seat. Instead it was her Dad. Who had passed away the previous year.

Sep 24th, 2008, 11:54 AM

>Instead it was her Dad. Who had passed away the previous year.<

That is spooky!

My story is not really spooky, but still strange...

In 1987 I was in the line for Space Mountain at Walt Disney World with four friends. We were goofing around and taking pictures of each other, when in walked Michael Jackson, right next to where we were standing.

When we developed that roll of film, all the pictures turned out, except for the one of MJ. Come to think of it, he was pretty spooky.
Sep 24th, 2008, 12:33 PM

Took an alley in Amsterdam and stumbled upon several windows with transgender prostitutes--THAT was spooky.
Sep 24th, 2008, 12:40 PM

None of my many "spooky encounters" while traveling were other-worldly.
Sep 24th, 2008, 01:00 PM

I once thought I saw Richard Simmons in Stockholm.
Sep 24th, 2008, 01:33 PM

Well, the spookiest moment in my travels was way back in 1974, when I had sailed a ketch from Amsterdam to the port of Gravesend on the Thames. I had pulled in to drop my crew, and then took her out into the stream to pick up an unused big ship mooring for the night. I intended to take my boat alongside the quai at the next high tide to put her on the hard to do some bottom work.

I awoke, after a restless night of dreams, to stagger to the companionway with a cup of coffee for my morning look-around. The fog was so thick I could barely see the bows. As I gazed dully into the mist, it cleared enough for me to see a sight that made me drop my coffee. There before me was mistily revealed a HUGE square rigged vessel that towered over me. I had this eerie feeling that I had been transported back in time, when full rigged ships routinely plied the Thames.

It really gave me a start, until the fog cleared enough to show it was the German Navy sail training barque, Gorch Fock. The 266 foot monster had crept in quietly during the night, and had taken the mooring close to me.

Sep 24th, 2008, 01:40 PM

I was born and brought up at Oxford. Nearby are the ruins of the medieval Minster Lovell Hall. There are various legends attached to the place the nature of which were sufficient to ensure that in my childhood it was regarded as a sinister place which was best avoided.

Many (many) years later we had occasion to revisit the area quite often. Several times my wife suggested a visit to Minster Lovell but I always found some reason not to go although gave no indication of the basis of my objection; indeed I probably was not really conscious of it myself.

Eventually we went. As we left my wife and daughter both said that they had felt uncomfortable there and had experienced a profound sense of sadness in some parts. When I explained the likely cause of my reluctance to go there they both said they now understood why.

I don't believe that sort of stuff either, but there is sufficient hard evidence of people experiencing things beyond our ken for me to disbelieve.
Sep 24th, 2008, 01:42 PM

That's not spooky, Bird, that's just plain scary!
Sep 24th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

When I was planning for a trip for Venice 2 years back, I stumbled upon this travel account written by this American who visited Poveglia, Venice, an island which is closed off to visitors. It has a bad history, being the place where people dumped victims of the black plague, then after that there was an asylum built there of some sort. You guys should go check it out, it scared the crap out of me!!!

I think his profile name is poveglia in myspace, that's where he posted his travel account and some pictures along with it, read the first part first.
Sep 24th, 2008, 01:46 PM

Whoops! Last bit should read

but there is sufficient hard evidence of people experiencing things beyond our ken for me not to disbelieve.
Sep 24th, 2008, 02:03 PM

Alekii,

I should have mentioned that the restless dreams I had during the night before seeing that ghostly ship in the mist, was because I had read about Gravesend. The town was called that because it was the first place they could throw corpses from London's black plague directly into the river without them washing back up to London on the tide.

My dreams had centered on rotten bodies floating alongside my hull, and scratching to get in. I was ready primed to be startled by that visionary ship.

Sep 24th, 2008, 02:09 PM

it was the first place they could throw corpses from London's black plague directly into the river

Whoever told you that? Gravesend's name was documented long before the Black Death (which is presumably what you mean by black plague) and basically comes from grove's end.
Sep 24th, 2008, 05:25 PM

The Parisian transvestite prostitute was really spooky! They only come out at night!

OOOOOOOHHHHHH!
Sep 24th, 2008, 06:16 PM

Aleckii, I have heard personal stories of that island too, really interesting. I can't find the profile on myspace, do you have an url?
Sep 24th, 2008, 08:05 PM

I went to Sctotland once with a friend from Liverpool to a meeting of male liberation at the times when the sexres were in discord(that hasn't changed) I was put into a room that was supposed to be haunted.
I always wanted to meet a ghost. I slept lightly waiting for the arrival that never came. The next morning all were disappointed that I saw nothing.
They all believed in this ghost and were afraid to stay in that room.
They should have consulted urban ledgents.

I

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO