Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Have you ever stayed - - as a sizable family group - - in a big, nice apartment (that you otherwise loved) , in a city that you didn't really like? And which was the overriding factor?

Search

Have you ever stayed - - as a sizable family group - - in a big, nice apartment (that you otherwise loved) , in a city that you didn't really like? And which was the overriding factor?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2007, 04:42 AM
rex
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For more background on this question on this question, see "Lodging in the city (center?) of Palermo - - to choose or not to choose?" - - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35097055 - - even though, on this thread, I am seeking input or experiences that might not be limited to Palermo (maybe not even limited to Europe).

The core question boils down to whether a stay (of three nights, in our case) will likely be a good one, if we love the place we're staying - - even if we think that the decision to stay IN the city is bad or iffy.

And for background sake, let me stay that we HAVE made four successful stays before - - "all under one roof" in other locations - - but never IN a city.

So, the question is in the header... do you have any relevant experiences, in another CITY - - and to what degree was the glass half-empty, half-full... or maybe even, all the way full in spite of mixed feelings?

Thanks in advance for all replies... and...

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 04:46 AM
ira

Hi rex,

If I felt uncomfortable with the idea of staying IN a city, I don't think that any sort of accomodations would induce me to do that.

Old Dec 30th, 2007, 05:35 AM

Well. I have stayed with a large family group in wonderful accomodations OUTSIDE (very outside) any city nearby and survived. The setting was wonderful, but to get anywhere was stressful (for me because I was the driver).

I think being in the city would give those who wish to go their own way more flexibility than to be sort of stuck in the boonies. And the nice apartment would eliminate any discomfort on that front.

And also, most people can survive three days almost anywhere.

Have a great trip.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 05:44 AM
rex
Original Poster

The exact dichotomy of the dilemma - - but thanks, both of you... for sharing, ira, Sher.

For what it's worth, ira, I am at the front of the pack of those "uncomfoprtable" staying IN the city. But this time (and sometimes at other times), I am trying to look at this with the merits we may find when we make ourselves step outside our "comfort zone(s)".

And ps. I think I have been remiss to correspond with you by e-mail - - write me at your convenience.

More replies will make this conversation all the richer - - especially firsthand experiences.

Old Dec 30th, 2007, 07:13 AM

Would it help if the location was directly on a public transportation system? A 10-15 minute bus/tram/some kind of ride would still allow relatively quick access to things to do and yet be not IN a city?

If I wanted to be both with family and yet flexibility to do something in smaller groups, that's something that would be a deciding factor in selecting an apartment for me.

Hope some crumb of that thought helps. Cheers.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 07:19 AM

Oops, don't think my crumb of thought will be much of a crumb for staying IN the city but not knowing whether you should or not.

So, another crumb, perhaps less likely to help.

I stayed with a school group in Amsterdam. In my mind, we were IN the city (citizen of a 3K resident town, here), someone else may have said we were on outerskirts, I don't know. It was a situation where I recommended my other crumb: we were almost smack on a tram stop, 10-15 minutes from the Dam, so if I had had a chance for independent exploring, that was perfect.

All a matter of perspective? Of what IN the city means in terms of relative location to something?
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 06:31 PM
rex
Original Poster

Your point about public transportation is in fact, plenty relevant to our analysis of this decision. In the specific case of Mondello... it's more or less a suburb - - and it has the public bus lines of Palermo - - we would view this as an appropriate compromise...

...but we haven't been able to find a place there that offers what we're seeking (especially the 4BR/4ba angle); there is one on our radar screen, but it does not offer shorter stays.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 08:14 AM
rex
Original Poster

topping... in case there are some new eyes to see this now that we are back to some "regular" weekdays...
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 05:24 AM
rex
Original Poster

One final attempt at topping this - - for those who might have missed it over the few days spanning the New Year...
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 05:54 AM
J62

My experience may not be a 1:1 corollary but a few things I learned.

Scenario: group of 6 work colleagues spent 2 nights in (near) Prague. Got a got a good deal on rooms in a suburb (~10mi) outside of the city. Hotel was nice, we each had separate rooms under the same hotel roof. Location was 'close to' subway - about 15min walk from hotel to the station platform. Maybe a bit less.

Plus: cost of lodging was lower than downtown.

Minus: had to trek by foot then public transport to sights. Was not convenient to come and go for a break. One night we just ate dinner in hotel restaurant, as there was little (nothing) else around the hotel.

Minus: each time we went out there needed to be some sort of coordination among the group.

Next time I would spend more $ myself for a more central location. I don't mind using public transport to get around, but I also like to be able to step out of the hotel/apt door and explore on foot, if even just a few small shops, a nice park, or a cafe for a coffee or beer. A big part of my enjoyment of traveling is just hanging out, without always having to have a destination.

I also like the freedom for me and others to do our own thing for a while. The more remote location, while it did not mandate 'group think' it was also not conducive to everybody going solo for a while at their leisure.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 12:03 PM

There is something to be said for staying in cities and towns, especially if the group is sizable. It is nice not to have to use a car for sightseeing; it is nice to be able to use public transportation. It is nice not having to be concerned about parking a car. Cities and towns offer a variety of activities for all ages and interests.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 03:02 PM

I'm a city person and it would never occur to me to have "stay outside the city" as a first choice. BUT that is a personal opinion. For a large group like yours I would think that the flexibility that staying IN the city offers would be a plus. Transportation would be easier, no driving/parking issues, people would be free to explore the city after dinner if they wished or go back to the apartment, nice to be able to go for a late night or early morning walk, or go out for a drink at night, etc. IMO once you're back at an apartment or hotel on the outskirts, you are stuck there until the groups leaves en masse for the days activities.

Have you polled your group?
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 01:29 PM
rex
Original Poster

In response to Margo - - yes (on the other thread), there are more details about the (<u><i>mild</i></u disagreement over the merits of staying IN center city Palermo. It's almost moot, as the disagreement is mostly melted away.

But I think I will share this thread... the comments have all been useful!

Thanks to everyone who replied...