Need help to decide between these apartments

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Searching for weeks, and almost ready to book an apartment but can't decide which one. Has anyone stayed in these apartments below. I have read some negative reviews about this agency so I'm a bit cautious.
1. http://www.veniceapartments.org/basi..._marin_43.html
2. http://www.veniceapartments.org/rial...tronico_6.html
3. http://www.veniceapartments.org/basi...lliano_29.html

If anyone can recommend any other apartments in this price range, then that would be great
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 03:25 AM

1 & 3 seem close to the train station; don't know if that's an advantage or disadvantage for you... It's nice to not have to lug your luggage very far, but it's also nice when you're renting an apartment to feel like you're living among the locals. Number 2 seems to have a better location, but no view. How long will you be staying? A good location would be most important to me, followed by a nice view.
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 07:10 AM

I think all those locations are fine.

#2 has a washing machine (but probably not a dryer). That would be useful when traveling with small children.

You will have to be lugging those kids up and down stairs at all these locations.
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 11:59 AM

In another thread I recommend to you some apartments rented by the owners, not agencies (which they charge their commission, making the rates higher). I didn't noticed before a new apartment offered by the Sartore family. I see you have no problem anymore with an apartment not being precisely on the ground floor. The following apartment is located on the top floor, but there is an elevator in the building and the decoration is not bad at all. It also has a bathtub, a novelty in Venice. Check it out and if you like it, ask for an estimate: http://www.venicehr.com/bellavista.a...azione=english - The beauty of this place is that you will have everything you need to feed your family very close, not to mention Campo Santa Maria Formosa where children are taken by their parents to play, ride their bicycles and/or just run around. A wonderful neighborhood. It has an altana, I know, but if you keep the door locked, how a 2-year old kid will be able to open it? You will never find a perfect apartment in Venice without having to pay a fortune for it. Trust me. The only bad thing that can happen would be the flooding getting so bad that you will have to rent a boat to do your sightseeing. Otherwise, good rubber boots for everyone will do it.

I am just trying to help you, that's all. Do not forget to ask to all apartment renters about the 'acqua alta' situation. If you find something that you really like, ask here about the area. I am sure you will get honest opinions.

Again, good luck!
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 12:13 PM

Here is another apartment (not my style, but practical) that is located on the ground floor and the price is affordable: http://www.venice-centre-accommodati...formations.htm - This is also rented by the owners and since you will be traveling with children, I am sure they will do their best to accommodate you in the best possible way. The same goes for the Sartore family. Venetians love children.
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Hi Leo_NY- thanks for your suggestions. I saw your suggestion for VeniceHR and emailed them on availability. They look like great apartments at my price range so I'm checking them out!

I still want ground floor if the windows open up all the way. But I can consider higher floor flats if the windows do not open up. If you look at the apartments I posted, the windows do NOT open all the way. That means, I can consider an apartment at a higher floor. See bedroom picture #6 in the Marin Apartment and you can see what I mean. The windows open only slight from the top at an angle so you can still open a little for fresh air without worry of kids falling.
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 03:59 PM

"The windows open only slight from the top at an angle so you can still open a little for fresh air without worry of kids falling."

I was unable to see the detail that you seem to see. Many European windows of this style swing wide to open as well as tilt out at the top. Unless you have sure word from the owner that these windows tilt out only, I would not assume so. Another angle clearly shows regular hinges on the windows which would allow for a swinging window. However, the handles will be mounted very high and require strength and leverage to turn. I wouldn't expect children the age of yours to manage it.