Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone seen strollers in Italian museums/churches?

Apr 24th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Yes, another question from me. I was just wondering if anyone knows if you can take a stroller in the museums? We are going to the Vatican, Accademia , Science museum and the Uffizi as well as many churches in Rome, Florence and Siena and would like to take the stroller for my 23 month old daughter as I will be 22 weeks pregnant when we leave May 24th and don't want to carry her(my family will be there along with my husband).
I also read that you have to check bags in Pompeii. I was hoping to be able to take a small back pack with her necessities as we are leaving the stroller in Rome when we go to Pompeii for the day.
We are definitely bringing a stroller and opted for a bigger wheeled one than an unbrella style since I have read here that sometimes they are hard to manuever on some one the cobble/stone streets.
p.s. We are going to Venice for 3 days and have decided no museums. We are just going to wonder the streets, go to Murano and St. Marks. Thanks for the input.
Apr 24th, 2006, 09:10 AM

Hi- From our research & other posters it seems like you should have nothing to worry about. We are going to Italy with our daughter (will be 23 mos too) in a few months. I know we are planning on bringing our stroller in the museums. I would think that a small bag in Pompeii would be okay. They can't make people with medical issues check supplies that they may need, I don't see this as much different. You will have to let me know how it all goes... you will be going before we do. A side question- can I ask if you guys are staying in hotels, or apartments & who you used to book them? We still need reservations in Rome & Florence & are debating what to do. THANKS
Apr 24th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

We would have loved to stay at an apartment in Rome but we are travelling as a party of 8(my parents, in laws and 8 year old niece). I basically planned this 2 week trip and was so tired of looking for an apartment in Rome for 8. So, we are staying at the Hotel Lancelot near the Coloseum 165 euro and 10 extra for terraces. They are even picking all of us up at the airport for a fee.
In Florence we are staying at an apartment Palazzo dei Ciompi. I think I found this at apartmentsinflorence.com but not sure. This I beleive just east of the Duomo and north of Santa Croce. There is an apartment called Palazzo Gamba right next to the Duomo we were looking at but they didn't have one aparment for all 8 of us. The apartments looked beautiful and were like 200 euro and you could get a good view.
We are only paying 250 euro per night for all of us and there is a washer and drier on our floor. They have several aparments and you can view them on line. Do a search for Piazza dei ciompi and it will come right up. We are staying in the Vasari apartment.
I will definitely let you know how it is when I get back.
Apr 24th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

The website for Florence was inflorencehotels.com and they ahve several listings. Easy to use service. Good luck
Apr 24th, 2006, 10:12 AM

I don't remember there seeing any strollers at the vatican museum or in any churches. But I could be wrong.
We brought small backpacks to pompeii with no problem. reconsider the stroller for pompeii as it is quite large. Bring extra water for yourself.

(can other family members carry your daughter??)
Apr 24th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I meant to say I wouldn't be the only one carrying my daughter and she loves to walk but she usually naps anywhere from noon to 2 pm. I was concerned that I could not take the stroller into Pompeii.
Apr 24th, 2006, 10:27 AM

We were just in Italy 2 weeks ago. As for the museusm you listed, you should be fine with the stroller (not sure about the Science museum - didn't go there). We left our stroller at the hotel when we went to the Vatican museums, as I was uncertain about whether we could take it. Saw plenty there, although the route we took (with tour guide) included lots of stairs that I would not want to maneuver with a stroller. The lower level of the Coliseum, too, was not stroller friendly due to the stairs, but my packhorse husband just picked it up and hauled it around with sleeping baby inside. Definitely no problem with the Accademia or Uffizi.

FYI, we took a lightweight "umbrella" type stroller with large wheels (Britax - a Chicco would do well, too) and had no problem except for the very large cobbles around the forum, that I think no stroller could handle! It's all about the wheel size, I say.
Apr 24th, 2006, 11:23 AM

I have seen strollers in St Peters - but with a large stroler you will be limited to the ground floor - since there's no way you would get a stroller either up or down the stairs (narrow and curving) to the other levels. (For some of these stairways it's hard for 2 people to pass going in different directions - a stroller would block it completely - even assuming your husband can carry it up and down all those curving, narrow uneven stone steps.)

For museums I would doublecheck the web sites to see that they have elevators available to the public (Italy is not nearly as handicapped friendly as we are.)
Apr 24th, 2006, 11:37 AM
JJ5

Some thoughts on Pompeii with a stroller: ok for some spots, not for most others, IMHO.

All or 90% at least, of the areas I went to explore at Pompeii were off the "residential streets" which were really more like narrow alleys with a channel for running water and sewerage in the middle. You are walking upon separated stones for these in most areas on each side of the guttered middle.

I don't think you could use a stroller except on the 2006 pedestrian route pathways. When you get into any ruins proper, into the remains or inner buildings, I don't think you could bridge most of the spacial relationships with a stroller, if I remember correctly.
Apr 24th, 2006, 11:42 AM

I'm with JJ5. It was difficult in some places for me to walk (it was drizzly when we were there)...I couldn't imagine trying to navigate a stroller over those ancient stone roads. I just don't know how it could be done and still allow one to properly see and experience Pompeii. I would leave the stroller in the hotel room or skip Pompeii.

Tracy