How does this Itinerary look for Italy?

May 9th, 2006, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

How does this Itinerary look for Italy?

We, me(22 weeks pregnant),dh,23 mo. daughter,8 yr old niece, parents in their late 50's and in laws almost 70, are off to Italy in 2 weeks. We are purposely leaving some down time for just relaxing.

5/25 thurs arrive 1035am and picked up by Hotel Lancelot. Depending on the group we may get tickets for the hop on hop off bus tour just to get a view of the city and stop and see sights we may not see just walking around.

5/26 fri. get settled maybe see sights around hotel. Friends from England arrive about noon and head to Vatican museum and St. Peter's. Possibly trevi fountain.(buy train tickets to Pompeii, Florence and Venice)

5/27 sat guided tour with Francesca Caruso of San Clemente, Coloseum and forum. We(on our own) will then tour the Palatine, surrounding ruins, San Pietro en Vincoli, Pantheon etc.

5/28 sun day trip to Pompeii

5/29 mon open day poss. area of catacombs, appian way, aquaducts etc.

5/30 tue open day poss Ostia Antica

5/31 wed train to florence. Staying at Piazza dei Ciompi apartments. We will go to the market then head to santa croce, Ponte Vecchio and that general area.

5/1 thurs 845 reservations accademia, then San marco, san lorenzo,santa maria novella and the Duomo.

5/2 fri Siena

5/3 sat Science museum at opening, lunch then reservations at uffizi for 2pm. Open to see what ever we are up for or find(Santo Spirito and Piazzale Mich.)

5/4 sun poss Fiesole

5/5-7 mon-wed Venice Hotel Antiche Figure. We have no plans here except to go to Murano and St marks(especially at night)

5/8 thurs palne home 1130

I have purposely left alot of time gaps for the possibility of "getting Lost" and just discovering the areas and eating gelato.

May 9th, 2006, 06:19 AM

I'll be looking for you..we are in Rome May 28-June 2, Florence June 3-5 and Venice June 6-8. Are the Piazza dei Ciompi apartments the same as the Florence Ciompi apartments? If so, we're staying at the same place.

Florence has been a real pain to plan because we arrive around 11 on Saturday, then have Sun. and Mon. to tour....however, so many places are closed the first Sun. or Mon. of the month.
May 9th, 2006, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Missiepie-

I beleive they are the same apartments. We are in the Vasari 3 bdrm 2 bath I believe it is on the 2nd floor. What apartment are you all in?
I am sure you will be able to find something. When I was there a while back I enjoyed just wondering the street.
We decided to stay in Venice at the Hotel Antiche Figure since it is right across from the train station and a short walk to the bus station.

I am sure you will hear my daughter(she will be the 23 month old bossing us around haaa). I will keep an eye out for you all.
May 9th, 2006, 06:58 AM

Yes, same place. We are in the Michelangelo on the 3rd floor. We'll be the family with kids ages 15, 13 and 10; two red heads and a blonde.

Don't know if I should admire you or tell you you're nuts for going on vacation with both sets of parents!
May 9th, 2006, 07:06 AM

Hi Dewdrops,

I think your Fri and Sat in Rome are a quite ambitious, especially with the group you have. I also don't think you need to see both Pompeii and Ostia Antica. Pompeii will be an extremely long and trying day with a 2 year old and 70 year old in laws. Ostia Antica might be a better choice.

If you eliminate either Pompeii or Ostia Antica, that will give you another day to see what you didn't get through on Fri and Sat.

Highly recommend the Borghese Galleria. Advance res needed.

Happy planning!