Rome/Florence Apartments?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy this June with our 2 girls - 15 & 16 yrs. old. We're thinking of taking it slowly and staying in Rome for our home base for 10 days, then moving on to possibly Florence for 7 or would Sienna be a better home base, then on to Venice for 3 days.
We're thinking of staying in an apartment in Rome - has anyone stayed at the Forum Apartment, Pantheon Apartment 1 or 2? Or does anyone have a better recommendation? How about in Florence? Would Florence be better or Sienna and what apartments do you recommend?

Thanks,
Meg

Old Mar 18th, 2004, 12:55 PM

For Florence (and most probably for Rome), you could check www.rentvillas.com. They have properties for rent throughout Italy.

I rented an apartment through them last October, and I was satisfied with price, location, service, and, most important, with the apartment itself.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 01:09 PM

"...has anyone stayed at the Forum Apartment, Pantheon Apartment 1 or 2?"

I assume these are listings from a specific site? It would help enormously if you posted a link, or at least identified the agency, because these names are rather generic.

There is more to see in Florence than in Siena, so unless you want to rent a car and drive around the countryside, I'd suggest basing there. You can certainly take day trips via train or bus from either location, though Florence will have more frequent connections.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 01:36 PM
kr

has anyone stayed at the Forum Apartment, Pantheon Apartment 1 or 2?"

im staying at the pantheon 2 in june
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 12:19 PM
KDN

In Florence, try Palazzo Gamba Apartments
http://www.palazzogambaflorence.com/

They are literally next to the Duomo and very nice. Our family of 4 stayed there in November and were very satisfied.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 01:57 PM
rex

Have you asked on www.slowtrav.com or its sister website www.slowtalk.com?

Barring other ideas, I think there is a nice Rome choice on www.domani-usa.com

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 02:20 PM

By clicking on KR's username above, I found another post which contained this link for the apartment he/she is renting:

http://romeby.com/pantheonapart/index.html

So apparently all of those being inquired about by the OP are being offered by Romeby.com.

Although most of their listings are hotels, there are some apartments on venere.com for both cities.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 07:07 PM

Hi mryan,

I forget the distance by train to Rome but it is not too far if memory serves. Why not consider a busy week in Florence or Rome and then a relaxing week in the Como region or maybe along the coast (Cinque Terre). I know its easy for us to gravitate towards the popular names we know but my experience in Italy is that often the smaller areas are more walkable, friendly, hold the most charm.... Como is just gorgeous and almost like a fairy tale in my mind. Cinque Terre? I have only seen in photos but heard great things about. I think it would be something of a surprising adventure to book here.

Of course if this is entirely a historical, Art, shopping venture then you know what you are doing. Just a thought.

I have only been to Rome once but it has a big city feel to me. If that means anything to you. A friend of mine wants to book a condo there but I live in NYC, just can't do it. Everyone is different though. I can certainly imagine the draw.

BTW... vrbo.com is a service I have used in Hawaii and they have locations all over the world.

I was in Florence in November. I used www.venere.com, hope I spelled that right. I have to say if I went back again I would stay in San Lorenzo or San Spirito (sp).

I chose the Duomo area on the last trip and it was about as central as Saint Patricks Cathedral or Broadway if you know Manhattan. That is great for a weekend stay but its much more charming to be in actual neighborhoods, restaurants are cheaper and more charming in my opinion. No fears at night walking home alone in Florence, very safe. I did it alone.

PS there is more to see in Florence than Siena but I hope you won't make your trip about dropping eyes on every important sight. Much better to enjoy and appreciate as you go. SIENA is one of my favorite cities in Italy. It deserves more than a day trip. I don't think there is a more stunning cathedral in Florence, JAW DROPPING. Santa Croce holds a different appeal, good but different. I missed Santa Nouvella.

Don't book near the train station in any city in Italy.