Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

has anyone redeemed their starwood points in Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 05:04 PM
Adrian

I have been collecting my starwood points for awhile now and would like to use it for my trip in last week of Feb. Did any of you get upgrades? which hotels did you stay in?

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 05:36 PM
nervous

I will be using my points for the first time in Europe (used it in the US many times). I am using my points to stay at the Sheraton Towers in London and the Imperiale in Vienna. Anybody stayed there? Are they considered a luxury hotel?

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 06:33 PM
wondering

How many of Starwood points do you need for a free stay in Vienna, or are you using points to upgrade a rate they gave you? When you return would you please regarding the Imperiale.<BR><BR>Thank you.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 02:04 AM
annie

Adrian:<BR>I am about to do this this week in London. I'll post and let you know how I did upon my return.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 03:59 AM
Derek

In the summer I used my points to stay at the Daniel in Venice. When we first checked in I was so impressed with the lobby. My wife and couldnt stop smiling at one another but as soon as we got to our room all that changed. Our room was tiny and there was no space for us to walk. We asked if we could be upgraded but we were told their are no free rooms. In the end we just let it go since we were not paying.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 01:28 PM
Adrian

Topping for more help

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 02:58 PM
Dave

Adrian - Your question is a good one,,but methinks you've come to the wrong forum in order to get the best answers.<BR>IMHO, what you should do is log on to flyertalk.com. In order to post a question or reply to an existing question you must register, but its free and painless.<BR>You will get an avalanche of information regarding the use of *wood points if you want it. On the other hand, you could very easily go the website, find the *wood forum (listed under "FT Miles", and simply look through the many existing postings for the answers to your questions.<BR>Best wishes for a great trip!

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 03:19 PM
Sarah

I stayed in a Starwood hotel in Milan, the Westin Palace. I was very pleased. I got an upgrade without asking. I went Thanksgiving weekend 00, beautiful room with gold inlaid furniture, marble bath, chandeliers, bay window. It was across the street from another Starwood hotel, the Hotel Principe di Savoia, which was slightly better and perhaps the best hotel in Milan. Was great to eat dinner across the street at the di Savoia and have them bill my room at my hotel. Concierge, housekeeping everything was excellent. I was not redeeming points though. Very close to both city and main train station made my way all over Milan in cabs, trains great great time would go back in a heart beat it was such a manageable city for a short break. I was only there for 4 days.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 05:25 PM
Debs

In a few weeks I will be using my starwood points in Rome Excelsior and Florence Excelsior so I will let you know how it goes. I too would like to hear from anyone uaing starwood.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 06:32 PM
absoluteone

London:<BR>Sheraton Park Lane--Smaller hotel with well-trained staff. I've used points here many times for diffeent rooms, with a gold upgrade to spacious "smart rooms." Won't guarantee upgrade at reservation, but usually available at check-in. MAYFAIR LOCATION is key! Across the street from Green Park for running/walks, 3 blocks from Green Park Tube stop. 4 Blocks from fabulous shopping on Bond Street! Shepard's Market directly behind for MANY good restaurants.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 06:47 PM
absoluteone

Rome Excelsior-- Used Starwood points to redeem for room with gold member upgrade at check-in. Fabulously large room with WALK-IN CLOSET and spacious Marble Bathroom. If possible ask for a room off Via Veneto to reduce your proximity to traffic noise. Located directly across from heavily fortified US embassy on via Veneto. This hotel is strategically situated for high end shopping, Spanish steps, but a hike for the Vatican tours. <BR><BR>While you're staying at the Excelsior: Be sure to enjoy Sunday morning at Cafe Donney people watching, or the Piano bar for an awesome brunch or great drink after a night out.<BR><BR>Staff was competent, in a stand-off Roman way. Large park 3 blocks away for running/walk.<BR>

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 03:33 AM
Adrian

Thanks so much for replying to my post. In my cming trip I would like to use my points to stay in the Sheraton Park towers in London and the Prince de gaulle hotel in Paris. Are they good choices?

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 02:44 PM
ttt

ttt

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 02:59 PM
Carolyn

Park Tower is good.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 10:52 AM
wonderin

IS the Sheraton park tower considered top class? I usually stay in the Dorchester but I am thinking of using my starwood points on my next trip.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 11:30 AM
RG

I used my SPG points at the Westin Excelsior in Florence last Dec. The hotel is beautiful and the room they gave us was fantastic. We really enjoyed ourselves. The concierge desk was helpful except for one individual who probably thought we were being cheap as we used our points to stay there (but that is conjecture on my part).<BR>RG

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 12:17 PM
william

This past May we used starwood points to stay at the Sheraton Padua. It was only 1/2 hour bus trip to Venice where we spent the day, leaving early in the morning and returning late in the evening. We had been in Europe staying at mostly traditional European hotels and I was glad for the break staying at a typical Sheraton. The room we had was very nice and our rate (free) included the continental breakfast which was very good.