Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone had afternoon tea at the British Museum?

Old Mar 18th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just noticed the Court restaurant at the British museum does an afternoon tea.
We can't do a "formal" tea, because we have two small children, so we thought this might work well for us.

Has anyone done it? Opinions would be much appreciated.
Suggestions of other options are also more than welcome.

Thanks!

John
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 10:22 AM

I'm not sure it would, actually. I think you might find that the space itself is an inspiration for the kids to want to run around. That said, the tea itself is pretty modest, not the elaborate to-do of some other places, so you might get to hold their attention just long enough, and then be up and out before sugar-overload kicks in.

I would think there is someplace in London that specializes in afternoon tea for small children (that is, if being the tallest person in the room is ok with you.)
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 10:27 AM

Here's a place with a children's tea menu:

http://www.afternoontea.co.uk/index....d=196&Itemid=3

and here's a positive review of tea at Brown's from a woman who took a child under five years old:

http://golondon.about.com/od/afterno.../Brownstea.htm
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 11:57 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The court restaurant is going to be on the slightly formal-ish tea side. It is the posh place upstairs -- not one of the casual places down on the ground floor of the great court. It isn't a space that could encourage running around. There are lots better choices though IMO. The Orangery at Kensington Palace would be good -- you could combine it w/ visiting the Princess Diana Playground next door.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input so far, much appreciated.

Just to clarify, I'm not worried at all about them running around or anything, they're well behaved in restaurants, but I also didn't want them in the quietest, fanciest of atmospheres. The museum seemed to fit the bill, but I'm going to check into the other suggestions as well.

Already checked out the links in the first response, now looking at The Orangery. Thanks again, and other suggestions are definitely welcomed.

John
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Okay, The Orangery coupled with an afternoon at the playground looks wonderful. If we can fit that in, we will!
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 02:42 PM

Oh - I wasn't suggesting your kids are hellions who would run amok

It was the suggestion that the Court's >>space itself is an inspiration for the kids to want to run around
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 09:30 PM

Sorry! I thought you were considering the modest afternoon tea available within the British Museum's Great Court for about 7 GBP -- or at least it used to be available as of a few years ago. Since the Great Court can get to be quite a hubbub if the museum is crowded, I thought small children might get restless to join the literally swirling action in that space.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 09:35 PM

The OP asked about the Court Restaurant. Yes - refreshments are offered down on the ground floor -- but that is not where the Court Restaurant is . . . . .
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 09:50 PM

Janisj? I just told the OP I was sorry for misunderstanding his interest in the less formal tea available at the Court in the British Museum. He didn't capitalize restaurant so I thought -- as I just indicated above -- he meant the less formal tea. That seemed to be what he was focused on so I focused on it as well.

Do you really intend to stalk every thread where I post to inanely have the last word? At least read what I write while you're at it, would you?
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 10:20 PM

Oh wait! I just figured it out!

Janisj, please believe me:

I have no intention of ever threatening your position as All-Knowing Queen of the UK tag. Okay? Really. You can relax. There's no competition here.

I don't think I ever would have even remembered the modest afternoon tea at the Court -- sort of a half-tea, actually -- had I not read John's post. I meant to be helpful to John, but I can see in the process I've made you frightened. Relax. I've no interest in helping anybody find any more tea in Britain. You'll have that all to yourself.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 10:27 PM

Sorry, John! But she really is a ninny.
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Sorry to prolong a feud of some sort, but thanks to both for the help! Much appreciated.
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 06:27 AM

Not your fault! Have a nice tea!