London Afternoon Tea with teens

Old May 4th, 2017, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Afternoon Tea with teens

We will be in London this June and are interested in having an afternoon tea with our 13 and 14 year old kiddos. Their tastes are quite simple compared to what most adults would enjoy. Not to say that they are picky, but they are teenagers. Additionally, one has a gluten allergy and the other a dairy allergy. Most restaurants seem more than able to provide alternatives. I'm wondering if anyone could make some recommendations for an afternoon tea with picky teenagers in mind? Something special and fancy, but not so over the top that they won't enjoy themselves. Thanks!
Old May 4th, 2017, 07:28 PM

Hi:

Two of my three kids have celiac disease, and I can whole-heartedly recommend afternoon tea at the Orangerie at Kensington Palace. There are many options. Plus, it is just a gorgeous location. I think you can make a reservation and you probably will want to. I've been twice -- the time we went in summer was pretty crowded.

Also, since gluten is an issue, you might check out this blog:
http://www.glutenfreefoodie.co.uk/
Old May 4th, 2017, 11:34 PM

I endorse the suggestion of The Orangerie
Old May 4th, 2017, 11:51 PM

I cannot vouch for it personally but there's a science themed tea at the ampersand hotel (by the science museum). The menus says gluten free by request and I don't care what age you are...hard to snub chocolate dinosaurs.

My favorite was Browns Hotel, I think. But it's because I'm a bit of a pig and it was awesome food wise. It was more cozy lounge than fancy tea room. I preferred that. Went to the latter later in the trip and it was a little to girly for me.
Old May 17th, 2017, 09:32 PM

We enjoyed the afternoon tea bus: http://london.b-bakery.com/ which offers a gluten free option. The staff were really helpful when I booked. It was a fun afternoon which should appeal to teens.
Old May 17th, 2017, 09:47 PM

Orangerie is gorgeous, agree! You can take a walk in the park before (during) and after if the kids need to move. If any of them were fans of Downton Abbey, one episode was shot at the Criterion in the theater district... and it's beautiful and classic inside. I don't think their dinner food is great, but they have a very high quality tea and probably are very used to special dietary requests.

If you want to really limit the budget, there are often 'igh tea' offerings on LivingSocial for London... so you could look for one there as well.
Old May 18th, 2017, 10:35 AM

We really enjoyed our tea last year at the Chesterfield Mayfair. They offer gluten-free and vegan options:

https://www.chesterfieldmayfair.com/...3255B9D353A37F
Old May 18th, 2017, 11:33 AM

We were recently in London with tween girls and had tea at the Orangerie and the girls loved it. It was 27.50 pp and a bargain compared to what a hotel charges. We spent more than four times that amount for two at the Lanesborough on a previous trip. The food was very nice and we were not disappointed. They do not take reservations and we arrived on a Sunday afternoon and waited no more than twenty minutes.
Old May 18th, 2017, 12:18 PM

Agree with Kensington Palace -- lovely.
Old May 18th, 2017, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm another fan of the Orangerie. However, if you want something cheaper with less food, you might consider the V&A museum cafe, where you will get to eat your choice of food in their beautiful tea rooms.

https://www.vam.ac.uk/info/va-cafe/

Turns out they do a full Victorian afternoon tea on Sundays, by reservation, have no idea whether they can handle gluten or dairy free. I go there for a scone with clotted cream and jam (jelly) which is the only part of afternoon tea that interests me.
Old May 18th, 2017, 02:06 PM

Are they too old for the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory-inspired afternoon tea at One Aldwych? (I'm not, and I'm considerably older than your daughters.) They say they can do this gluten free; I would contact them to be sure and to ask about a dairy-free option.

http://www.onealdwych.com/uploads/do...n_Tea_Menu.pdf
Old May 18th, 2017, 02:09 PM

I am sorry; I should add that I haven't had afternoon tea at One Aldwych, only dinner, but had a very pleasant experience. I would say it would be fancy enough, but not stuffy. We found the service very good and the food excellent (we did the "dinner and movie" package one evening); this was a couple of years ago.

Otherwise there is always Fortnum & Mason, which can cater to all sorts of dietary needs.

You shouldn't have a problem with the dietary restrictions in London. Menus are well marked and kitchens are accommodating. Hope you have a good holiday.