Has anyone driven to Grindelwald?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2008, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While driving the same speed as other drivers up the mountains and Alps in Germany and Austria my husband and I were occasionally tailgated by other cars and buses!

Typically we would take trains but recent spinal surgery rules that out. Does the road up to Grindelwald have shoulders to pull off on and do the Swiss respect the rules of the road?

How harrowing(on a scale of 1 - 10)of a drive is it from Interlaken to Grindelwald?

Also for those who have an At&T or T-Mobile cellphone were you able to get reception in Grindelwald?

Many thanks!
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 06:44 AM

It's been quite a few years, but I don't recall the road from Interlaken to Grindelwald being particularly threatening. A few twists and turns, slight change in elevation, but otherwise fine. As a driver not particularly fond of heights, I'm sure I would recall if it were frightening. Can't vouch for the road shoulders, however.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 06:46 AM

We've visited Grindelwald twice with school groups in large highway coaches. It was not a long drive (maybe 20 minutes) from Interlaken. The road has a few twists and turns and there are driveways, farmers lanes, etc. where you could pull off if you felt it necessary. There are some great spots for pictures as you come down in elevation. There are shoulders on the road for most of the way. I can't foresee too many problems for you. On a scale of 1 - 10 with 10 being the most challenging (i.e. Peruvian mountain trail) I would rank this a 6. Have a wonderful time. The ambience and view in Grindelwald is "out of this world".
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 10:29 AM

I have done that and it was a good road--no sweat. However, it takes more than :20.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 10:47 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"However, it takes more than :20."

Especially if there is a cow crossing. The drive is a snap. We loved Grindelwald!

Old Jan 31st, 2008, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information.

A few more questions. My husband and I like to stay a few days in a new town, regardless of size. Keeping in mind that I cannot walk more than 2 hours a day, how many days do you recommend we stay in Grindelwald?

I noticed how often other people recommend Wengen, across the valley from Grindelwald. Since the views are similar and the town smaller should we go there for a day trip?
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 11:38 AM

Grindelwald would make a good base, as would Lauterbrunnen, if one prefers the valley floor. Wengen would make a fine day trip or a great overnight stop, as well. There are many possibilities, so one can fill two days easily. It's difficult to go wrong with any decision.
Suggestion: take the seilbahn (cable car) from Grindelwald to the Mannlichen station and enjoy fabulous views and an amazing, not-too-strenuous walk to Kleine Scheidegg (considerably less than 2 hours). There you can catch the Wengernalpbahn to Wengen from where you have great views down to Lauterbrunnen and across to Murren. You could continue down to Lauterbrunnen via the same train and/or return, by train, to K. Scheidegg and all the way down to Grindelwald. It's also possible, from K. Scheidegg, to travel up to the Jungfraujoch by train. On a sunny day, the region is unforgettable.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 12:14 PM

Hi NancyAnn,
YOu will LOVE the trip. We made that journey as well and stayed at the Waldhotel in Unspunnen. Very interesting family hotel with a great little schnapps bar in the lobby. Straight out of "Hiedi". Anywho, clean and comfy, with an elevator. Trip up the mountain...no worries. It's a tad touristy,but worth the views. Good luck!!
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 08:23 PM

I have driven to Grindelwald a few times and it is not a bad drive at all, but it can be full of cars depending on the time of day.

If you are approaching from the direction of Bern - Thun - Spiez you will pass slightly south of Interlaken and intersect the road to Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen toward the eastern end of Interlaken.

At this point turn right and the road changes to a more city like street.

You wind your way with a few sharp turns through Wilderswil, passing the train station as you do.

A few k south of Wilderswil there is a sharp left at a hamlet known as Zweilütschinen. This is where the two branches of the Lutschine River meet. The train from Interlaken Ost also stops at Zweilütschinen where it divides. The front half goes south to Lauterbrunnen while the rear half goes east to Grindelwald.

Almost immediately after you turn left, the highway crosses the railroad tracks. Then you follow the road up-valley playing tag with the river and the railroad tracks as you go. The road is fairly narrow, but the drivers tend to be quite good.

However, if you are a slowpoke, you will be tailgated. Keep up with traffic and everything will go fine.

I am not sure how long the drive takes from the point at which you turn south, perhaps 25 minutes depending on traffic and whether or not you are stopped for the train to cross.

As you enter Grindelwald there are a few tight turns and both vehicular and pedestrian traffic can be quite heavy along the main street.

The town is larger than you might think and, unless you know where you are going, the streets can be a little confusing. There is one main street and everything feeds off of it it seems.

You really cannot get lost because Grindelwald for passenger cars is a dead end. There is no route out except the one you took coming in.
(There is a road over Grosse Scheidegg to Meiringen, but it is restricted to buses.)

How harrowing is the drive? My wife agrees with me that it is not harrowing at all. She actually is in a better position to judge because she does most of the driving while I navigate.

However, to provide some context and to put standards into perspective, she does not find the Grimsel Pass or the Sustern Pass to be much of a problem, and the road to Col St. Bernard was a routine matter.

At age 71 she is not what I would call a lead footed hot rodder but she does get on with it.

Old Feb 1st, 2008, 01:55 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for all the advice.

Have a great weekend!