Has anyone been to Greece in March?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2007, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I posted a message under the topic of Santorini and got some good responses, but am hoping to get more from those of you who have been to Greece in March.

We are planning our honeymoon to arrive in Greece March 25th for 10 days. We had planned to stay mostly in Oia, but many people told me it would not be happening in March, and that maybe it would be hard to find restaurants open, etc.

Now we are thinking of staying two or three nights in Athens before going to Santorini.

We would be happy to have a beautiful view and places to take walks without a lot of other action as long as there are a few good restaurants and a coffee shop open...and a few stores would be nice also.

Have any of you been to Oia the last week of March? What can I expect?
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 09:14 PM

The weather in March will be unpredictable, cold and windy. The unofficial beginning of the season is Easter weekend. Next year that's April 7-8. Before that you'll be lucky to find much at all open. Here's a list of hotels that claim they're open all year long but you'll need to contact them to verify that.

http://www.santorini.gr-santorini.co...ls/allyear.htm

FYI-The Museum Spa in Oia is very nice.

Almost every restaurant and shop will be closed. I don't know which ones will be open, you'll just have to wait until you're there to find out. There will be more open in Fira than in Oia.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 01:44 AM

About the only people who have been to the Greek Islands in March are the Greeks themselves, and a few intrepid souls such as 'oldpro' who answers questions on the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree website. Oldpro loves the Greek Islands in winter, so you might want to join that forum and send him a PM.

Brotherleelove paints a bleak picture, but unfortunately there is more than a grain of truth in what he says. The Greek Islands' season runs from the beginning of May until the end of September. Outside those months most hotels and restaurants are closed and their owners are back in Athens for the winter.

Of course there are always some hotels and restaurants open on the larger islands such as Santorini. They are there to cater for business travelers and island residents who occasionally go out for a meal.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 01:55 AM

I've spent 2 weeks in late March, early April in Rhodes. Quite warm actually!, I wasn't brave enough to go swimming, but others did. You can expect to have much of the island to yourself, but I would opt for Rhodes or Crete!
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 04:41 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
When I went to Greece with my daughter two years ago in March I asked the same question about the islands and after learning that facilities would mostly be closed for the season I opted for a trip to Athens and the mainland instead. We really enjoyed it and enjoyed Carnival time in Athens and lovely early spring weather everywhere, with lots of wildflowers.

Since this is your honeymoon, however, and you are set on staying on the islands, this might not be the answer for you.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 05:45 AM

I was in Santorini once in the middle of April and most days were pleasant but very windy and damp at night. Too cold to swim. I would think about Chania Crete as a better option for that time of year.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 07:59 AM

To be fair, not once has greenbead asked about the weather, so I assume that isn't a priority. Looking for a romantic island for a honeymoon, Santorini wopuld be my choice too. The weather may be marginally better in March on Crete or Rhodes, but only two or three degrees F, not enough to outweigh the charms of Santorini.

Let's face it, though, the Greek Islands aren't at their best at the end of March. What many people find charming in the warm sunshine of late spring and early summer may not be there in the cool breezes of late March and early April.

On the other hand, walking together on deserted beaches can be romantic. Not having to wait for a table in restaurants will be bliss. Whatever you decide, greenbead, have a wonderful honeymoon.

Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Heimdall, and all of the rest of you for responding.

I wish we could wait until May, but this is a second marriage for both of us and we are having to plan it around the kids spring break so they can stay with grandparents while we travel.
Otherwise, we would have to wait until mid June and from what I can see the prices go way up for both flights and hotels.

Neither of us care about swimming or sunbathing...I lived on an ocean for years, so we are probably going to take a chance and hope for good weather. If the weather's bad, we will just stay in our lovely hotel room. Rain can be beautiful too while overlooking a pretty village and sea. Maybe we will see a rainbow!!
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 09:29 PM

March is a great time for flying a kite. I think you'll enjoy being on the islands that time of year.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 10:54 PM

Last year I spent the first week of April in Santorini. We stayed at the Cori Rigas Apartments in Fira, and were very happy there. They had opened for the season April 1. We had a couple warm sunny days, and a lot of sunny but windy and chilly days. We didn't mind one whit. Because it was the very beginning of the tourist season, the shop owners were hungry for business and very friendly. We went to Oia one day and most, but not all of the shops were open.

At that time of year because there aren't many tourists, I was happy we stayed in Fira -- it was just active enough to be fun. And, since we only rented a car part of the time, being in Fira meant we had lots of things to do that required only our feet and not a vehicle.

If it were me, I'd do as you suggest - 2 or 3 days in Athens, and then go to Santorini.

One thing you should keep in mind is that you would be in Santorini during Holy Week. As someone mentioned, Easter is April 8. But the entire week before Easter is a time of fasting and daily church services. These are the most important religious holidays of the year. Good Friday, Easter Sunday, and Easter Monday are all national holidays, which means that the banks and shops will be closed. At least some of the restaurants will likely be open to accomodate Greeks from Athens and elsewhere who return home for the holidays.

This travel raises an important point: it can be very difficult to get tickets for travel within Greece during the two week period before Easter. The stories of people who haven't been able to travel during this time of year because they can't get airplane or ferry tickets are legion. Last year to get my husband a airplane seat during Holy Week we had to get a favor from a friend of a friend who had connections with the airline. Without this assistance, he would have spent Easter in the Athens airport.

That being said, Holy Week/Easter is my very favorite time of year to be in Greece. If you enjoy church services, even if you don't understand the language, you may be interested in attending to hear the beautiful chanting of the liturgy. The Good Friday and midnight Saturday services are particularly wonderful.

Have a good trip!