santorini in late March?

Search

santorini in late March?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2008, 11:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
santorini in late March?

We're wondering what it would be like to visit Santorini in late March (we have constraints, because we will be visiting for a wedding).

Weather? Will lots of things be closed? We would like to spend an enjoyable few days.

We have visited Greece in February (another wedding), and had a wonderful time in Athens. But now we feel that we need to move on . . . ideas?
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:43 AM

Personally i don't like the islands during winter. You get such a different feeling and you don't see the full beauty of them.
Usually shops and restaurants open for tourists during greek easter which i think that next year will be in the middle of April.

Why don't you take a roadtrip to Peloponese? Or Delphi, Meteora, Pelion? There are so many wonderful places in Greece apart from the islands!
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:24 AM

For me the islands are all about the beaches and sunning. The weather at that time of year is certainly for for sunning or swimmming. I would do a mainland trip, it would be nice, not hot so a good time to visit some sites like Delhpi perhaps. I am not familar with mainland sites, I have only been when it is very hot still and all we wanted to do was get OFF mainland to the cooler islands( ocean breezes and swimming) , but there is lots to see on mainland, so that is where I would concentrate a March trip on.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:00 AM

It will be cold, deserted and possibly wet on the islands in March. Only a few hotels will still be open, and fewer restaurants.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much. We had a wonderful time in Athens in February a couple of years ago. Just beautiful weather.

I guess we'll keep researching a bit more for this trip. I wish some of these weddings would be in the summer or early fall!!
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:55 PM

Most of them are....
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 11:17 AM

And never in May.
G.
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 01:03 PM

Caligirl, you just hit it lucky last time you were there in feb, check out a weather site to find averages for each month.
Problem also is islands are not treasure troves of indoor sites( museums etc). Islands are more about outdoor cafes, beaches, incredible water and views, none of these work in cool rainy weather. Plus, many of the islands close down quite a bit for the winter. Doesn't mean you shouldn't go though I suppose, but not if you are after the typical laid back holiday of beaching etc

Frankly since you will be there for a wedding you might as well go to Santorini just for the views, but I'd just make it 2-3 days max.
Have you considered maybe a trip to Turkey instead, or even Egypt, really, with the cheap inter Europeon airlines , you can likely find a good cheap charter to Cairo or something, now feb would be a perfect time to go there!!!Don't dismiss it off hand, you might find when you look into it that it would be quite doable.

If not why not jump a flight to Rome?
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 03:33 PM

I would rent a car and tour the Peloponese. If WW II history is of any interest, you might want to visit Kalavrita. I have been told many Greeks visit this location through out the year.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 03:52 PM

we visited Santorini last year in early April. We had a wonderful time - the weather was warm in the day but got chilly when the sun went down. It was great to explore without the crowds. Go for it!