Where in the Greek Isles to go in March

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To add variety to our quick trip to Greece, we had planned a ferry ride from Athens to Santorini, two nights in Santorini, followed by a plane to Rome.

We've discovered, however, that most of Santorini closes down for the winter and there are only a few place to stay in March.

Does anyone have any suggestions for alternate quick trips to one of the islands from Athens? Rhodes?

Thanks!

Old Jan 27th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Follow-up to my previous question:

Even though most of Santorini is closed down for the winter, would it nonetheless be worth a quick trip there in March? We have heard so much about the Greek Isles, that we hate to skip them altogether.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 07:35 AM

Santorini is stunningly beautiful, and the beauty would still exist in March, but I think it could be very cold and windy at that time. And I question if I would like taking a ferry for that long ride in cool/cold weather, although approaching Santorini from the sea is a sight to behold. Being on deck on the ferries is very pleasant, but there was lots of smoking inside during my trips, and that combined with very rough seas made my tum feel not so good.

I can imagine how eager you are to go the islands if you're going to be in Greece; I hope someone with experience at this time of year can refute my opinions!
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 07:40 AM

A few hotels and restaurants will still be up and running in March, but almost all of the shops and museums, etc. will be closed. Santorini is a uniquely beautiful island, but unless you'll be satisfied to be in a very quiet environment you might be disappointed. There won't be much to do except enjoy the spectacular view of the caldera and drive around to have a look at the villages in their state of winter hibernation. There's no telling what the weather will be like then, it could possibly be raining, so I suggest you wait until you get to Athens to decide. Closer to Athens is Hydra and Aegina, easily reached by local ferry.

Aegean Airlines is having an airfare sale. They fly from Athens to Rome as well as to Santorini and other islands.

http://www.aegean-air.gr/aegeanen/home/
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

To Grandmere and Brotherleelove: Thank you for the information. Unfortunately you are confirming what we suspected. I hadn't thought about a smoky 7 hour ferry ride. I would have problems with that.

I guess we'll just have to plan to come back when the weather is better!

Thanks also for the hint on the airfare sale by Aegean airlines. I'll follow up!

gkerwood