athen-sartorini, greece help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys, i need help planning my trip on oct 13-23 to athen and sartorini, leaving from JFK, landing at athen on 10/14 6:25pm, and fly out athen on 10/23 7:25am.
questions 1: how should i go from athen to santorini, by ferry or fy there?
questions 2: how many days should i spend on each place?
questions 3: which hotel would you suggest for budget stay in athen and sartorini.
thank you.
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 11:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In our limited experience of the Greek islands in October, I'd say it will be fairly quiet with the season almost finished (if not completely finished).

I'd suggest 3 days minimum on Santorini, we are not Athens fans but there is a lot of history to see there. Personally, I'd spend more like 4 or 5 days on Santorini and the balance in Athens. You will also likely be jetlagged so the first day or so may be a bit of a blur.

Whether you fly or get the ferry is up to you. You need to check timetables and prices to make a decision -
check http://www.goferry.gr/ for ferries and fast catamarans

Olympic and Aegean fly from Athens to Santorini. There may be other airlines too, check the Santorini airport website.

Check www.tripadvisor.com for budget hotel suggestions or do a search on this forum, keying in (eg) Athens budget hotel.

Best wishes
Kay
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 11:12 PM

You arrive too late for flights to Santorini that night, but the conventional ferry Prevelis is currently scheduled to depart Piraeus for Santorini (note spelling) just before midnight on Friday Oct 14th. The ferry arrives on Santorini around 9 am the next morning. This saves you one night's hotel bill, and gets you to the island at a reasonable time of day. It's too early to book, and timetables could well change between now and then. Check the ferry schedules on www.gtp.gr in September.

How to split your time between Santorini and Athens? That's really up to you and your interests. If you want to relax on an island in a quiet time of year, Santorini will fit the bill. If you want a vibrant nightlife and enjoy visiting ancient sites and museums, you will find that in Athens that time of year. Start with a 50/50 split, and adjust according to what you wish to do.
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 11:22 PM

I might add: check later on the websites for Aegean Airlines and Olympic Air, the only carriers currently flying between Athens and Santorini. At the moment there are no flights departing Athens late enough for you on Oct 14th, but it is possible that will change when their winter timetables are finalized. You won't have to book your ferry in advance, so you can keep checking the flight schedules right up until shortly before your trip.
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

thank you, if i take the ferry, will i end at oia or fira? i know the airport in santorini is at fira.
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 07:28 AM

The ferry arrives at Athinios, which is much closer to Fira than it is to Oia.

The airport is not in Fira, it's between Kamari and Monolithos.

This map will help you understand: http://www.santorini-web.com/map.pdf

If you want some hotel recommendations please state your maximum daily room budget and the village you prefer.
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 07:33 AM

Neither, but both are closer to Fira. The Athenios ferry port is south of Fira, and the airport is near Kamari. You can see them on this map: http://www.greeka.com/cyclades/santo...torini-map.htm
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 07:34 AM

Like minds!
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

thank you guys again, my hotel budget is 80-90euro/night, i need suggestion for hotel in athen, best in plaka, and hotel in fira and oia. planning to stay in fira for 1 night and then 3 night in oia, or should i do 2 night each ? thinking to stay in athen for 3 days 4 nights.
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 01:17 PM

Athens: Pella Inn, Metropolis Hotel, Athinaikon Hotel

Fira: Anemomilos Suites and Villas

Oia: Casa Francesca, Casa Sofia, Oia Waves, Stelios Rooms, Aspa Villas
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 01:22 PM

Athens hotels have higher "summer season" rates till the 31st of October, and they are usually very busy during the dates of your travel.
Since you wanna stay in Plaka i would recommend : Plaka, Amazon, A for Athens ( brandnew , located directly on Monastiraki square), Attalos ( as well near Monastiraki square, at the beginning of the Plaka)and Adrian and finally Arethusa and Astor, near Syntagma.
There are more hotels, but out of your budget..
Check them all out at www.booking.com

As for Santorini, i would personally stay all nights in Oia, spltting time between two places on such a tiny island makes no sense. And once you have seen Oia, i am sure you will not want to leave.....
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 01:24 PM

*splitting*
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

is it possiable finding a hotel in Oia with a pool and a view for €90/night in mid oct?
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 06:41 PM

Unfortunately, not a caldera view, but if a sunset view is OK then check the Anemomilos Hotel. And by the way, the pools aren't heated so chances are good that a pool could be too cold to use by mid-October. That said, there is a public-access pool in Oia with an excellent sunset view, the Lioyerma Cafe/Pool, that is free to use as long as you buy food and/or drinks.

http://www.lioyerma.gr
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

so finally I have came down to few hotels and wants to know which one would be a better choice:
For oia, 1. Old oia house 2. Lena's house 3. Marizan villas - all three is 400 euro for 5 night , so wants to know which location is better

For Athens, 1. Amazon hotel 2. Parthenon Athens
I like the modern look of the room, and the price is within my budget , again how's there location?
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 07:48 AM

All have different but excellent locations. Marizan is just a short distance from the Lioyerma pool. It has an unobstructed sunset view and a partially blocked caldera view. The others have a caldera view but no sunset view.

Amazon Hotel is convenient to the Plaka and the Monastiraki Metro Station for easy transit to the ferry port and the airport. Parthenon Hotel is in a quieter area and is close to the New Acropolis Museum.
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

THANK YOU SO MUCH brotherleelove, i just relized i missed the suggestion u post for me for the hotel choice. i look into ASPA VILLAS SANTORINI and the price is on my budget, but it doesnt seem like there is much pictuer , is there a link maybe u post here so i can take a look....thanks again
Original Poster

THANK YOU SO MUCH brotherleelove, i just relized i missed the suggestion u post for me for the hotel choice. i look into ASPA VILLAS SANTORINI and the price is on my budget, but it doesnt seem like there is much pictuer , is there a link maybe u post here so i can take a look....thanks again
Original Poster

Old Jul 25th, 2011, 08:47 AM

Try these: http://www.tinyurl.com/453qy99

This is a very basic hotel. If you are not booking the cave house the only room in the other building that I recommend is the top floor studio.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -