Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anybody or their kid ever gotten a summer job through BUNAC?

Notices

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 08:26 AM
Lee

Trying to help our daughter explore opportunities for a summer abroad that is not too expensive, or even pays for itslef, and the programs of www.bunac.org look intresting. Would appreciate any info, especially personal experience working with this organization.

Thanks in advance.

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:12 PM
tt

tt

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:39 PM
PW

Tell your daughter to go for it! I spent 5 months in 1999 in London on the Bunac program. Overall, I found the program excellent and I loved the time spent in England.

I had 2 jobs in London. One, at a museum, I arranged before I left the U.S. (I'd just completed an M.A. in art history). As this was only part-time, I found another job after I'd arrived in London at an art gallery. I found this through the Bunac listings in London. My 2 part-time jobs together paid enough to get by on (housing/food) but I lived VERY modestly. In the end I only paid for my flight over and then the Bunac fee.

Most of the other people who used Bunac were not like me -- most arrived with no job or housing. The Bunac office was very good with helping find housing and jobs. They had hundreds of interesting job postings in their office (although the majority paid the equivalent of minimum wage). Also, many housing notices were posted there.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:40 PM
Marc David Miller

Try posting this on the "Thorn Tree" section of

www.LonelyPlanet.com

as their demographics are younger and consequently more likely to have gone through such programs.

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 06:39 PM
Lee

Thanks, PW. I would appreciate the chance to connect you with my daughter, if she has questions. The few testimonials on the BUNAC site are similar to your experience, which seems a little unnerving to me.

But I'm glad to hear that it works for most participants.

Would you write to me?

My e-mail address is real.

And to MDM. Thanks, I did it already, and already got one answer.