Notices

A good day in Fountainbleau?

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 09:22 PM
Donnae

A good day in Fountainbleau?

What do you think a good day in Fountainbleau would be? What is there to see and do there? Any special recommendations?

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:15 AM
Alice

We went to Fontainebleau last October; this is from my trip report:
We took the remainder of the day to go to Fontainebleau, seeing the Chateau and grounds, and also to walk around the nearby streets in town. It is an easy train ride from Gare de Lyon, followed by a ride through town on Bus A/B to Chateau. The Chateau is beautiful, inside and out, especially enjoyed Napoleon’s Throne and the Chapel, and the very unique fountain in the Jardin de Diana, featuring the dog statues (which provided the water output in very amusing fashion). My husband enjoyed giving visiting children pieces of crackers to drop down to the huge koi in the carpe pond.
I remember this outing took us about 5 hours or so- maybe 1.5 for train time, 2.5 for Chateau and 1 for walking around some. You can go to nearby Barbizon but I'm not sure on the logistics, since we didn't do that.

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:20 PM
Bob Brown

A free lance visit to the palace at Fontainebleau is one of the easiest trips you can make from Paris.

Take one of the faster trains from Gare de Lyon to Fonatainebleau Avon, then take the bus from the station to the gates of the palace. You can tour at your leisure. The gates are near the downtown area and there are several places to eat along the main street.

The bus back to the train station also runs along the main street and comes by about every 20 minutes.

If you want to add to the day, stop in Melun and visit Vaux le Vicomte. This trip is a little more expensive because the only feasible way to the chateau from the train station is by taxi at a cost of about 20 euro for 2 passengers out and 20 more coming back. There is no bus, and trying to walk it is next to impossible.

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 06:41 PM
Christina

I spent all day there -- not a long day, of course. Aside from the chateau itself, there are beautiful gardens to walk in. On the first floor of the chateau is also a small Napoleon Museum. A few blocks away on rue St-Honore is the Napoleonic Museum of Military Art and History, also.

Here is a very good description of what to do in Fontainebleau on a great travel web site, Jack Travel:
http://www.jack-travel.com/IledeFran...is_gardens.htm

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 06:51 PM
Jim Rosenberg

In addition to the chateau itself, which is marvelous, the the city itself has some neat little restaurants and places to hang out. It's worth a little walking around.

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:02 PM
BillF

By all means go as suggested by the previous posters. Fountainbleau is a beautiful chateau and a very charming little town. The other thing I liked was that it does not get as crowded as Versailles, but then again what does.