Handicap Parking Sign

Dec 19th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Handicap Parking Sign

Does anyone know if a Canadian Handicap Parking Sign is valid in France or the rest of Europe for that matter? Also, for the entrance to the Eiffel Tower there is a reduced fee for the handicapped person & assistant; there will be 3 of us together with the handicapped person, do we all qualify for the reduced fee or should I purchase 1 handicap, 1 assistant & 2 regular tickets? We all want to enter together...
Thanks,
Som
Dec 19th, 2009, 08:04 AM

Don't know about the handicap hang tag, but reduced tariff for handicap attendants is limited to one person.
Dec 19th, 2009, 08:31 AM

The latter for your entry o EiffelTower, as Seamus has explained.
Non-EU disabled badge isn't officially valid in EU includng Franc, but it may be accepted by local discretion. Best thing to do, before laving a car with the sign up, is to stop a traffic warden or parking attendant and ask if it's ok. Fine for not paying parking charges or incorrectly using disabled space can be high.
Dec 19th, 2009, 12:52 PM

I can't imagine that there is anywhere in the world where you can take something you were given due to the rules and regulations/laws of another country and think it would pertain in another country.
Dec 19th, 2009, 01:13 PM

I think it is valid. In Paris, street parking is free with a handicap sign, even in the normal places.
Dec 19th, 2009, 01:21 PM

Since France has its own carte d'handicapé, I can't imagine they'd honor one from another country. I'd suggest contacting the Paris Tourist Office in advance.
Dec 19th, 2009, 01:36 PM

<<<>>>
France has to honoured EU ones (they are from different counties). But Canadian ones I doubt if they would be honoured anywhere in the EU
Dec 19th, 2009, 01:41 PM

Yes, the Canadian (among others) handicap placard is valid in also in France.

http://www.internationaltransportfor...y/parking.html
Dec 19th, 2009, 04:52 PM

Once more I am stunned at the depth and breadth of knowledge among Fodorites. Well done Cowboy1968. Sometimes the internet has massive value.

tC
Dec 19th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Cowboy1968, that's great news! Love these boards!!!
Som
Dec 19th, 2009, 08:45 PM

amazing...
Dec 19th, 2009, 11:36 PM

Cowboy1968

France being France, official regulations mean little if the people enforcing the parking rules don't kinow about them or don't care. If they slap a parking ticket, wheelclamp or tow your car away, you will have all the hassle of getting your fine reversed and having your car released. That's why I said speak to a parking attendant and get their agreement before you presumes to assert your rights under international agreement. Or take your permit to whoever is enforcing parking control and get their approval in writing (in French) and stick it up on car window together with your permit.
I have used a disabled sign when carrying a disabled relative in many European countries without a problem, but it's an EU sign in approved format.
Dec 20th, 2009, 12:23 AM

sominex, click on your name to see responses to your other similar post. When you click on your name you will see all the posts you started AND commented on.
Dec 20th, 2009, 12:24 AM

No, you said that a Canadian badge is not officially valid in the EU or specifically in France. Which is simply not correct.
You are not at the mercy of someone gracefully accepting a 12 year-old multi-lateral agreement, but if there is a parking attendant (lots of handicapped parking may as well be curbside spaces with no one around to tell anyway) you can, of course, inform him or her.

If you wish to be on the safe side, print out this page and leave it on the dashboard or show it to any parking attendent or similar who did not receive proper training:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/politique/acc/ac...tionnement.htm
Dec 20th, 2009, 05:43 AM

Whether a Canadian badge is valid or not in France is simply irrelevant, as it's fruitless to argue your case against a French functionnaires who usually stand their ground and don't take kindly to anyone - esp a foreigner - telling them how to do their job. So always ask first, politely if you can, and if nobody's around, get an official letter and display it clearly along with your permit.
Also France being France, what is allowed in one town may not be in another, regardless of international agreement. If an attendant says you cannot park with a non-EU permit, you cannot or risk getting ticketed or worse.
Dec 20th, 2009, 08:14 AM

There is the EU approved handicapped card, but I have also read that the various U.S. state handicapped cards are also accepted in France. So I would imagine that Canadian ones would be also.

I used my father's handicapped card from Florida (for my mother!) in Paris until I got a proper one. Never had a problem with it.
Dec 20th, 2009, 08:20 AM

(Had not yet read all of the additional information when I posted that. There is great respect for the handicapped in France, and I would imagine that even the handicap cards of totally minor countries would be given the benefit of the doubt. French functionaries, and more specifically the police, seem to do a fine job in this department. I have learned to respect them more and more when I move my mother around France. I am shown secret elevators and all sorts of other equipment of which you would never expect the existence.