Hamburg Hotel Help

Jun 16th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Hamburg Hotel Help

Our next trip will be in Hamburg and i'm looking for a nice 4/5star hotel in the city. Out i found was the Marriott, the Atlantic as well as Abtei. From what i've read Marriott has the best location, while Kempinski has the least safe one, close to Hauptbanhof and rooms look a bit old and basic for a 5star hotel, especially compared to the lobby. Abtei looks lovely and is a Relais Chateux, but is its location a major drawback?
Thanks in advance.
Jun 16th, 2006, 08:06 AM

My wife and I recently stayed at the Raffles Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten in Hamburg, it is a top notch 5 star. I had read that it was one of Europes top hotels, and we have stayed at the best throughout Europe, this was as good as Baur au Lac in Zurich, Plaza Athenee in Paris, or the Grand Sofitel in Amsterdam. We had never stayed at a Raffles Hotel, and the spa and treatments were superb, we did the Hungary Hot mud wraps two days in a row with massage, excellent. The location on the lake is beautiful, and if you can get a table by the window, I recommend the restaurant.
Jun 16th, 2006, 10:31 AM
hsv

I recently commented on quite a few of Hamburg's hotels on a thread started by fellow Fodorite Ingo. You might be interested and can access it at

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...nses=2&start=0

It would also be quite worthwhile to look into the Park Hyatt which has truly nice facilities and a great spa area in the basement (and which currently hosts the US national football (soccer) team).

The Dorint Sofitel and the SIDE Hotel Hamburg would also be worth considering if you like modern design (the SIDE was designed by world-renowned Milan based designer Mateo Thun; the Dorint is also strikingly modernist and has a great spa area). I like the Dorint's location slightly better, but keep in mind that Hamburg's city center is quite compact.

The location of the Abtei is not at all a drawback. It is an art-deco villa in one of the city's poshest inner-city residential neighbourhoods. The Klosterstern metro stop is about a 7 min. walk away and is only 4 stops from the upscale center city shopping area around Jungfernstieg. Trains will whisk you there within approx. 8 minutes. The beautiful recreation area around the Outer Alster Lake is within easy walking distance (5 min. at my estimation). Just offering 11 rooms (decorated with authentic antiques), it is just a completely different concept from the other choices in the city center that you have named so far (and also from the ones I added here and on that other thread).
Jun 17th, 2006, 12:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help. I'm currently leaning towards Abtei, but Atlantic looks nice too. Fromthe pictures i saw, Abtei is charming and discreet, and Kempinski looks Grand, but Standard and Superior rooms remind me of a 3/4star hotel, not one of Hamburg's top at all. I would also like to ask some questions. Is it safe to take the metro at night to the Klosterstern metro stop? And also, how safe is to Kempinski's area at night, as well as the bridhe someone has to cross to get to the city center(i've read in forums and guides that the area around Hauptbanhof is one of Hamburgs least safe ones?.
Yjanks again.
Jun 17th, 2006, 10:51 PM
hsv

It is perfectly safe to take the metro to the Klosterstern station. The station itself is in a very nice neighbourhood and the U1 stopping there does not touch any dodgy areas. Then again, there is no metro I would not take because of safety reasons. All quite orderly.

The same goes for the environments of the Atlantic. Though the St. Georg district has its dodgy parts, the Atlantic is located on the perfectly safe side - there are even a few nice cafés and bars in its vicinity. Crossing the short way under the bridge to get into the shopping parts of the city center is also perfectly safe - and I am not so sure you'd be doing the walk late at night anyway as that part of the city mainly offers shopping, but not so much restaurants et. al.

I don't think you could go wrong with either property - they are just very different in style and concept. I cannot comment on the rooms of the Atlantic as I haven't seen any of them during the past 10 years.
Jun 18th, 2006, 12:58 AM

I can comment on the Atlantic since I stayed there a couple of years ago for several nights.

First, I had no trouble with walking to and from the hotel to the railway station and other locations at night in terms of "safety" issues. The hotel happened to be well-located for the things I wanted to do.

As to the rooms: the first one I was given was on one of the upper floors and had a great lake view but it was not air conditioned (this was in August) and I refused it. I was given another room on a lower floor which was air conditioned (it was somewhat loud but it worked).

Nice marble bathrooms; high ceilings (with mouldings) in the rooms. Very wide hallways.

Had a bit of trouble with housekeeping on at least one day: 3:30 Pm and they still hadn't come to clean the room.

Concierge was very friendly and helpful. Did not eat the breakfast buffet since I thought it was over-priced.

The lobby and the hotel itself are quite grand and may or may not be living on its past reputation.
Jun 18th, 2006, 09:37 AM

I have just booked a standard room for late July in the Kempinski Atlantic and will write a trip report when I am back. So, if you have a little more time before you decide you could get a first hand opinion.
Jun 18th, 2006, 04:58 PM

My husband and I stayed at the Abtei on a business trip. While my husband was in meetings, I hopped on the tram, explored Hamburg on my own, and made it back to Abtei. No problems and location wasn't a deterrent at all. In fact, my husband's German colleagues joined us for dinner at Abtei one night and asked to even see our room. (They were staying at the Marriott.) They liked it so much that they were planning on returning with their wives. The restaurant was also very good and had a nice wine list. We had a room on the first floor with its own Wintergarten. And, there was free parking for our rental car right out front. I'd highly recommend it. Good luck!
Jun 19th, 2006, 12:35 PM

The Abtei is beautiful. The location is between Winterhude and Harvestehude and is on a small side street, very accessable to the Tuesday and Friday Isestrasse Market. It is closer to Eppendorfer Baum than to Klosterstern Ubahn, I think. I love the location, it is where you would want to live if you lived in HH (I lived four blocks from the Abtei for several years). It is near the Leimpfad Canal and the Aussen Alster. I would prefer such a place to the Vier Jahrzeiten or the Atlantic if you are a person who appreciates individuality.

Side Hotel is wonderful.

Gaswerk is also wonderful, if you like the funkier Ottensen area, which I do.

The Dorint directly in town is nicer than the one on the other side of Dammtor.

Klosterstern is perfectly safe.

You can check out the Madison which is near the Grüner und Jahr building near the harbor. I believe it is four star and you can use the Meridian health club next door.

My favorite five stars are the Hotel Jacob in Nienstedten and Sullberg in Blankenese. Both are fabulous. The Sullberg only has seven rooms. And that area of Blankenese, near the Treppenviertel is just unforgettable. I lived in lovely Blankenese (in the western part of the city directly on the river) for many years.

I am now in beautiful Italy, but now and then I do miss schöne Hamburg...

HSV forever and ever HSV all the way all the way....

Jul 1st, 2006, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. I am now between Park Hyatt(standard room) and Steigenberger(Junior Suite), equally priced. Any comments on these?
Thank you again.
Jul 1st, 2006, 12:59 PM

The Park Hyatt is directly on Mönckebergstrasse which is the main shopping street in Hamburg. A nice hotel, located in a lovely shopping passage.

The Steigenberger is a bit off the beaten path,closer to Rödingmarkt, but it also has a special atmosphere, being on one of the many canals. DIrectly on the same market square is one of my all time favorite restaurants, the Marinehof, just love it--creative healthy cuisine.

The Hyatt is a bit newer, the Steigenberger a bit more traditional,both are nice hotels, you cannot go wrong. THe walking distance from the Steigenberger to the Binnalster (main part of town) is maybe ten minutes.

Jul 1st, 2006, 02:37 PM
hsv

If the choice is between the Hyatt and the Steigenberger, the Hyatt wins hands down in my opinion.
The Hyatt has complimentary pool and spa facilities in its basement that are among the best Hamburg hotels have to offer. The Steigenberger does not have a pool.
The Hyatt should also be quieter as it is located within a shopping arcade that is bordered by a pedestrianized shopping street on one side and a small (if unattractive) sidestreet on the other.
The rooms are rather large at the Park Hyatt, too. So overall, that's where I'd head.