Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

amsterdam to bruges 1-day trip worthwhile in November?

Jun 30th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

We are thinking of going to Amsterdam in November 2006. Do you think a 1-day trip to Bruges (about 5 hours in Bruges and up to 9 hours on the train) is worth the effort?
Jun 30th, 2006, 06:18 PM
P_M

Bruges is one of my favorite cities, but 9 hours on the train? I don't think any day trip is worth that. You can find a better day trip from Amsterdam.
Jun 30th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. We'll maybe go there from another city (probably Brussels). Then it's only an hour each way.
Jun 30th, 2006, 07:05 PM

I don't have any train schedules and I'm too lazy to check on line, but from past experience, I think A'dam is at least a 2 hour train trip to Brussels. Then depending on the schedule, it is only a little over an hour to Bruges. Like PM, it is one of my favorite places. You would only be saving a few hours plus by going to Brussels instead of Bruges.

BUT, given the time of year, November, the weather probably wouldn't be that great for any long day trip.

Save Bruges for a time when you can spend a few leisurely days there. It is fabulous once the tour buses leave in the late afternoon, and they mainly stay in the town center.

Depending on the amount of time you have in A'dam, there is so much right there to keep you occupied. If you only have a week or so, especially if this is your first trip there, try short day trips, Delft, etc.. If it is cold, take a bus tour rather than 'train' it yourself.

Enjoy,

Nina
Jul 1st, 2006, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. Amsterdam will be mined for all its possibilities for 5 days - my Seattle daughter requested a European destination reachable by direct flight from SEA. Only other choices - London and Copenhagen. Now I have to research concerts, etc. for the evenings - there being many museums and other attractions for daytime.
Thanks for your helpful replies to my first post.