Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is L'Enfant Plaza in Washington,DC a good choice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2004, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have obtained an excellent senior rate of $111 for a deluxe room in Oct. at the L'Enfant Plaza Hotel. However, I have read mixed reviews and would appreciate comments from anyone who has stayed there recently. Are there any restaurants within walking distance and how is the hotel dining room? Thanks.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 05:28 AM

We loved Loews L'Enfant Plaza when we stayed there (two years ago w/3 kids 6, 9, & 12). It is literally two blocks from the mall. I don't remember the rooms being particularly notable either way -- they were perfectly fine (and we weren't in a deluxe room) -- and there is an outdoor swimming pool (which they may convert to indoor in the winter); perfect for our kids. The proximity to the mall is amazing and there's a metro station in the basement.

That said, this may not be the hotel for you. There really are no restaurants right around there; the whole area closes up after business ends. We loved the fact that we could walk to the mall and metro everywhere so easily; the pool, the rate, everything conspired to make this perfect for us. (I also stayed there once myself on business and the ability to roll out of bed and jog around the mall before a day of endless meetings was precious, too.)

Perhaps someone with a profile more similar to yours will have an opinion to share. I'd recommend it highly for families but I wonder whether you might be happier, e.g., in the Dupont Circle area.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 01:53 PM

We've stayed at the Loew's L'Enfant Plaza and enjoyed it very much--and my husband and I were on our own. It's very convenient for all the Mall museums, and with a metro stop on the floor below the hotel lobby (even a mini-mall with a few places to eat, including our favorite Au Bon Pain) you can get anywhere in town quickly. The hotel restaurants are fine too. Our rooms were always nice, with very good bathrooms and a fair amount of space overall. I think you'd be quite happy there.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 02:38 PM

There are really no restaurants close by but if you are happy with the other details then, since you are literally on top of a metro stop, it will be quite easy to conveniently get to other areas for dining. (Navy/Archives is one metro stop away which will take you to the heart of Penn Quarter with numerous restaurants; Chinatown is two stops away which will take you to another area with numerous restaurants.)
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 02:41 PM

I've never stayed there, since I live in the area, but my org'n had a conference there recently and a number of participants complained of uncomfortable beds.