San Francisco with kids

Search

San Francisco with kids

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Francisco with kids

I'm going to SF with my 2 kids, 8 and 10, for 4 days. Does anybody have suggestions for some kid-friendly hotels in the city that are still on the luxurious side. A pool would be nice but not requried.

thanks!

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Deblynn

We are staying at the Radisson @ Fisherman's Wharf. We got that room thru our package with air & hotel. Our hotel has a pool and is supposedly kid friendly. But there are other good ones out there. There is some hiltons, a hyatt and a sheraton all @ Fisherman's Wharf, so you don't have to drive as much.

Old Jul 16th, 2004, 02:32 PM

I noticed you only got one response, so I will reply to bring your question to the top.

I doubt it would qualify as luxurious, but the Hotel del Sol in SF gets wonderful reviews on TripAdvisor. It is bright and colorful and highly recommended for kids (and has a pool).

Hopefully more responses will be forthcoming.

Donna

Old Jul 16th, 2004, 05:35 PM

We've stayed at the Hyatt on Union Square and seen several families there too. I don't know if they have specific features for kids (camps, etc), but they do have a pool and there should be other kids. Of course, that will put you on Union Square. If you would rather be at Fisherman's Wharf, we have also stayed at that Hyatt, but it's not as nice as the one at Union.

Have a great time, and you'll want to take a cable car ride, maybe walk through China Town, and get a sundae at Ghiradelli Square!
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 10:53 AM

I don't have any useful suggestions about kid friendly hotels, but I just wanted to say that it is highly unlikely that it will be warm enough to go swimming in SF unless it is Sept. and Oct. The weather here in SF is consistently in the high 60s (sometimes low 70s) and sunny in the non-winter months.

To give you some perspective, I would venture to say that 90%+ of the residences in the city do not have AC b/c it is never hot enough to need it save for the three or four day indian summer heat waves that occur in Sept. and Oct. My advice is not to have access to a pool as a deciding criterion in your hotel choice as you probably won't swim in it unless your kids don't care if it is hot out or not.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), SF does not have the same climate as the rest of CA. I grew up here and never owned more than one pair of shorts. I never needed them!
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 11:14 AM

The hotels are Fisherman's Wharf are more family-oriented. It's more touristy at Fisherman's Wharf and there are no 4 star hotels there.

Union Square has several 4 star hotels, is in the middle of downtown, and is more for shopping, museums, etc.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 02:43 PM

Agree with the comment on swimming pools in SF - weather just doesn't warrant them. However, some of them at hotels would be indoors which would be fun for kids to do but unless you are in it for exercise, indoor pools are rather blah IMO. Fisherman's Wharf is more kid friendly and very touristy so kids enjoy it a lot. I can recommend the Argonaut but not sure of your budget. It is a lovely hotel with a nautical theme and on the luxurious side. It was an old warehouse that was renovated and mde into a lovely hotel right around the corner from the cable car turn around, the Cannery and Giradelhi (?) Sq. It is also right on the waterfront with view of Alcatraz and the piers. Most of the larger hotels at the Wharf are very nice.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 02:48 PM

A very fun activity for kids and adults is the Fire Engine Tour and it is right at the Cannery. A couple has purchased an old Mack fire engine and have renovated it so that people can ride in the back. You are given real fire fighter jackets and helments to wear to keep you warm as you drive across the golden gate bridge, thru sausalito, down to Fort baker at the foot of the GG bridge on the Marin side and back to SF thru a few neighborhoods. I took my 10 year old grand daughter last year and she loved it. She still sings the silly song they taught everyone. It isn't chep but it is a worthwhile excursion and your kids will love it.