Half-price Lion King tickets?

Apr 20th, 2002, 05:46 AM
Cindy

Half-price Lion King tickets?

What are the chances that we will be able to buy half-price tickets for the Lion King at the tkts booth in London at the end of June? We'll only be there Sat. through Mon., so will have to see the Sunday matinee or the Sat. night show. Also, are matinee tickets less than evening tickets?

Apr 20th, 2002, 07:07 AM
janis

No - Lion King tix are not sold at the 1/2 price booth. And more than likely the performances are sold out. But you can probably get tickets for the Sunday show. You would have to be at the theatre by about 10:30 AM or sooner and queue for returns. Some tickets are returned to the box office for every performance and on Sunday they go on sale first come first served at noon. They are cash only sales so don't expect to use a credit card.

Apr 20th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Patrick

If it makes you feel better, there are a number of NON-OFFICIAL ticket booths in the Leicester Square area. Many of them have signs that say half price. You can often go to one of those booths and they will tell you that they have Lion King tickets for half price. Let's say some regular tickets are 50 pounds, and they will sell you tickets for 25 pounds. Sounds like a good deal, right? Wrong! The tickets they are likely to sell you are really tickets that you could normally get at the box office for the same price or even less -- London theatres have a pretty wide variation in prices of tickets. These seats are probably rear balcony or extreme sides and that would be the going rate for them. The seats you'd then get for 25 pounds would be worth just that -- or possibly less. But I've met a lot of people who still seem to think they got a good deal, because the people at those "fly-by-night" booths told them they were getting half price tickets.

Apr 20th, 2002, 12:12 PM
Cindy

Thanks! I think that we'll call and try to get tickets from the theatre. Wish me luck!

Apr 20th, 2002, 03:02 PM
mjs

If you want to see Lion king in London in the summer I would recommend you purchase your tickets before you arrive. The show was sold out for midweek performances while we were in London in March. Returns would have been the only option if you wished to chance a queue.
I will also say that both my wife and I were bored by the musical although our 10/12 year old daughters did like it. All of us preferred My Fair Lady which was grand.