Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London half-price Les Miserables Tickets - Sat. Matinee?

Oct 9th, 2002, 02:03 AM
Steve

Headed to London this weekend on a last-minute trip and was wondering if I can expect discount ticket availability at the infamous half-price ticket booth for Les Mis.

Thanks,
Steve

Oct 9th, 2002, 02:23 AM
Jean

Steve,

Although I can't comment on discount tickets, I can recommend that you head straight to the box office of Les Miserables to buy your Matinee tickets. I think you will be delightfully surprised at how affordable they are.

It is a great production...I'm sure you will love it!

Oct 9th, 2002, 02:27 AM
Steve

Jean,
Thanks for info. How soon before the matinee should I go? 2 hrs?

Oct 9th, 2002, 03:59 AM
xxx

As the show has declined slightly in popularity i.e. it is not an automatic sell out weeks in advance, tickets are usually available at the TKTS booth in Leicester Square but Les Mis tickets are 25% off not 50% off and 25% off on the top price of £40 which would mean £32.50 if you include the £2.50 service charge. You can do better by calling the box office in terms of price.

Also as always be aware of the two or three rip off joints that you encounter on your way to the TKTS booth which is a free standing structure in the little park that is actually Leicester Square. When you get off the Underground at Leicester Square station, you are on Charing Cross Rd. You will see a closed off pedestrian street and as you walk down that stree you will see dumb tourists lined up in front of several establishments that call themselves half price booths. They are not the official half price booths, they are actually ticket brokers who have tickets and rip you off; especially on shows like Les Mis, Phantom, My Fair Lady, Mamma Mia etc. Make sure you walk past these establishments till you get to the Burger King which is where the little park starts. At the rear you will find the TKTS booth.

Further, be aware they are closing Les Mis in New York in March. I wonder if the production in London can be far behind?

Oct 9th, 2002, 04:42 AM
Steve

xxx,

Took your advice and called the box office. I reserved 2 great tickets Row G center for face value plus 2 GBP booking fee. Thanks,
Steve

Oct 9th, 2002, 05:07 AM
Chris

The only evening I have available to see a show is a Monday night. I would like to purchase half price tix in Leicester Square. Wondering if a lot of productions have shows on Monday evening?

Thanks for the tip about the ripoff booths!

Oct 9th, 2002, 05:20 AM
xxx

Almost all the shows have productions on Monday evening. Sunday is the dark day for the most part in London.