Search

Half Board

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Half Board

Can someone tell me what "half board" means at a hotel in France? Thanks. I asked for a room at Hotel L'esplanade in Domme and they offered me a room on the first floor and quoted me one price but also a price for "half board". Also, any comments on that hotel would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 01:26 PM

Half board means that breakfast and dinner (but not lunch) are included in the room price.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 01:30 PM

Half board can mean breakfast and your choice of lunchor dinner. If there are not a lot of good restaurants in the area it is often your best plan
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 01:37 PM

FlyFish is kinda correct - usually it is breakfast, and lunch or dinner. However, be aware that sometimes there is a "special" menu for lunch & dinner that you must order from. Usually it is a "dumbded down" version of their regular menu. I have dined at l'Esplanade about 5 times, and it is fantastic. One of my "top 5" in the Dordogne. I do not know if l'Eslanade has this dumbed down menu. BTW, we are having dinner at l'Esplanade for my wife's 60th birthday.

Also note that you do not have to have breakfast at the hotel - it is not included in the room rate. They may quote you a rate with breakfast, but if you do not choose to have breakfast on a certain day, they will subtract it from your room charge. However, if your breakfast table has a view of the Dordogne river, or they are serving outside, have at least 1 breakfast at the hotel. Otherwise, have a much less expensive breakfast in Cenac, Roque Gageac, Beynac, Sarlat or one of the other local villages. Sometimes in peak season, hotels will only accept half-board bookings and you must have 2 meals at the hotel.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. We will be there in early July, it's for my wife's 50th birthday. Maybe we'll see you there Stu. Your travelogue has been very helpful in planning our trip. Thanks.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 01:49 PM

I've gone with half-board twice -- once in Germany (two dinners), and once in Italy. All were great and excellent values...in fact, some of our best meals on the trips. The one time in Italy was recommended on this board. You might want to mention the hotel name in your post title and ask someone who has stayed at this property.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 05:31 PM

Usually half board is breakfast and dinner - but some places let you have breakfast and lunch instead (less practical, since who wants to head back to hotel every lunch - unless it's a resort). It may or may not include wine - you need to check. It may or may not be a limited or specific menu - you need to check that too.

We don;t do this, although we always take free breakfast at hotels - since the continental is really what we want any way.

Some hotels tied to well-known restaurants require that you eat dinner there at least once or twice as a condition of staying there. We found this at Moulin des Ruats in Burgundy - and lucked into incredibly good meals at very low prices. (Once we arrived we found a pack of Parisians who go there for one overnight to weekend just for the food and location /atmosphere - simple but cute and right n the edge of a major national forest.)
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 06:11 PM

At l'Esplanade you won't be disappointed no matter how much they feed you at how many meals at whatever time of day.