guide for shopping: Istanbul

Old May 13th, 2006, 07:51 AM
elr
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guide for shopping: Istanbul

hi all,

I plan to do some very serious shopping in Istanbul for some pretty specific items.

I am looking for a guide who knows the shops, shop keepers, good prices, and, of course, her/his way around the city to accompany me. I will pay, obviously, and do not want someone working on commission.

So, does anyone have any suggestions of just such a person, or know how I would go about finding one?

Many thanks! Ellen
Old May 13th, 2006, 09:06 AM

Hi Ellen,

Write to Pinar I am sure she will help you the way you like.
her e-mail is
[email protected]

I would like to receommend my wife BUT we won't be in Turkey untill JULY 10th

Have a nice trip in Turkey

Sinan Akdeniz
Old May 13th, 2006, 09:25 AM
elr
Original Poster

Many thanks! I'll email now!
Old May 13th, 2006, 09:33 AM
elr
Original Poster

oh...maybe your wife CAN help. I forgot to say that this trip won't be until October!

thanks again.
Old May 13th, 2006, 10:42 AM

Try www.screamingshopper.com.

Have your read <Turkey in the Straw: Thingorjus sleeps in Istanbul>? Shopping info. from a world-class shopper and antiques expert. You can access the info. by using the Fodor's search engine.

I bought my wedding ring at Maya in the lobby of the Istanbul Inter-Continental Hotel. They have exquisite jewelry.

Mrs. E. Worthington-Manville
Old May 13th, 2006, 10:59 AM

Hi!

I traveled to Istambul three years ago and I love it. Well, the Great Bazaar has almost 4,400 different shops where you can find anything you want: clothes, silk, jewelry, etc. just remember to bargain there and never get anything from people offering you things when you walk there. Turks know very well the art of selling/buying things from thousands of years ago, so they will tell you the prices in your own language. They know the least language requiered to sell, so donīt worry about it. Just be sure to bargain.
There is also the famous Istiklal Cadessi, which is in the Taksim Square (business area) where you can find a lot of established shops from Benetton and some others, of course, Turkish brands. There is also a small corridor with small shops: bookstores, music stores, . You donīt bargain here. This is also a good place to eat and there is the best candy store in the city. In that area, but not on this street, you will find a Vakko store, which is Turkeyīs most famous fashion brand (quite expensive, but very good quality). Explore the Taksim Square area, you will find many good things there, even the only tramway in the city. Ask your hotel staff where to get genuine turquoises (they come from Afghanistan and Iran) and you will not regret that. They are amazing. Enjoy Istambul.
Old May 15th, 2006, 07:20 AM
elr
Original Poster

thanks, all!

I have seen the website and emailed the "screaming shopper," although I have not heard back from her. From her website, it sounds as though she is very expensive...and although I plan to do a lot of shopping, I don't know if I would end up recouping what I would be paying her.

I will look for Turkey in the Straw....what a great name.

My concern is that I've heard from other people I know, from the U.S., who have traveled to Istanbul that often prices aren't really that good, and you could, for instance, end up paying the same, or close to the same, shopping back at home. I really want to avoid that happening to me.

I'm basically looking for textile-based handicrafts, i.e., wraps, scarves, pillow covers, etc.....I am looking for unique and beautiful.

I had also heard that shoppers are pretty much puddy in the hands of Grand Bazaar shopkeepers!

I have a few months until my trip...so, I'll be doing a ton of research. I have some leads on folks to help, and will see what they can do.

again, many thanks for all these replies!
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:01 AM

Jot down the name of this place:
Indus. I bought some great looking "ethnic" jewelry here and they also stock a large assortment of textiles; many are from India but different from anything I have seen here in US. Also Turkish things of course. The buyer obviously has a good and pretty sophisticated eye.
The shop I visited is in the somewhat upscale area of Nistantasi on Tesvikiye Caddesi; I believe they have another location as well. They will give you a discount if you ask. If you are looking for the
Suzani type textiles you will see lots on the Grand Bazaar. One shop you could check out there is Abdallah (mentioned in TimeOut Istanbul).
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:44 AM
elr
Original Poster

fanatastic and noted!
thanks.
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:03 PM

The secret to bargaining at the Grand Bazaar is to walk away if you don't like the price. Believe me, the shopkeeper will follow you and relent. You will probably find the same merchandise at another stall, so don't be afraid to walk away.

If you want some nice gifts, the shops at the Ritz-Carlton are fantastic. You can find some very nice "fun" jewelry, throw pillows, wallets, etc. at reasonable prices.

Quality merchandise is not cheap in Istanbul. You can pay $100,000 for a single rug.
Old May 16th, 2006, 07:10 AM
elr
Original Poster

thanks! I'd probably want the stuff I could find at the Ritz-Carlton, w/o paying the Ritz-Carlton prices!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:00 AM

You need to do some research before and allow time for istanbul or even need to travel some further if you are after unique handicrafts. You can as well give your own designs !
If you did not get any luck or need further help I have a friend in istanbul who is actually German but she is first of all an artist so she knows people and places and also she is a shopper !

Good luck, happy searching,
Murat
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:42 AM
elr
Original Poster

Murat,
thanks....I've just sent you an email!

Ellen
Old May 26th, 2006, 04:51 AM

Hi Ellen,
I did not get an e-mail from you... just wanted to let you know.
Best Regards,
Murat
Old May 26th, 2006, 08:44 AM

We will be on a cruise in October and one of the ports is Istanbul--Can one walk to the grand bazaar from the cruise port? If not--can we take a taxi cab instead of a shore excursion--any help greatly appreciated---THANKS
Old May 27th, 2006, 04:03 PM
elr
Original Poster

Murat, I just tried to email you again...please let me know if you don't recieve it! thanks!
Old May 27th, 2006, 04:21 PM

No, you can't walk from the port where the cruise ships dock to the Grand Bazaar; it is much too far.

Take a taxi; the trip will be short and cheap. Will you be going to the Spice Bazaar, also?

Don't forget to ask someone on your ship who speaks Turkish to write down the address of your dock. This way, you can give the cab driver the info. for your return trip. He may not speak English.

Twiggy
Old May 27th, 2006, 04:42 PM

SMNOVELLA--Thanks for the info--I appreciate it--
Old May 30th, 2006, 03:39 AM

Hi elr;
please try [email protected] this time. I have not receive any mail from you, sorry

Have a nice day