1st trip to Istanbul/Turkey

Mar 11th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

1st trip to Istanbul/Turkey

Hi All;
My husband and I are planning our 1st trip to Turkey, we have 10 days in
Istanbul and wanted to know what to see and do. Also can anyone tell me if there are sim cards available for our unlocked gsm phones and the cost and places to buy them? Thanks for your help.
Mar 11th, 2008, 09:05 PM

There is so much to see and do in Istanbul.

Do you plan on spending all 10 days in Istanbul - or do you want to do see/do anything else (Ephesus, Cappadocia)?

There is a TON of information onthis board. I would suggest putting "turkey" or "istanbul" into the search window and reading through the various topics.

ALso, you will find a very recent thread talking about using a cell phone in Turkey.

Have fun planning! I LOVE Turkey!
Mar 12th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

We are planning on staying in Istanbul for the 10 days in late April into early May. We are wondering about day trips out of Istanbul as well as the best of Istanbul. We are going on a tight budget and need to know the best places for eating, shopping, etc. It is our first trip to Turkey and we both love history, art, culture, and getting to know the people of Turkey. Also I was on the Turkish embassy's website where it said something about registering your phone. However when I emailed them the response I got back said nothing at all regarding registering our unlocked phones. We are planning on bringing both of our unlocked phones and purchasing local sim cards. So any information and recommendations are appreciated.
Mar 12th, 2008, 10:20 PM

I say get a nice picture book of Istanbul/Turkey and a couple guidebooks and start reading! Make a list of what you want to see... Or research online, look for photos, etc.
Mar 13th, 2008, 01:49 AM

Hi

My wife and I are budget travellers and we visited Turkey in 2006. I've got quite a few notes for Istanbul. I have provided them to other posters in this forum. If you want them email me on [email protected].
Please spammers no junk mail or pictures of your dog naked