Group Walking Tours of Rome?

Aug 12th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Group Walking Tours of Rome?

I would appreciate your recommendations for a company that arranges walking tours for small groups in Rome. Also, which tours do you suggest? I had thought the Vatican and one other. Last year in Florence, my husband and I particularly enjoyed an early evening walking tour that ended in a small cafe with a glass of wine!
Aug 12th, 2005, 09:06 AM

Susan;

I just booked two tours through contextrome.com. They are highly recommended on this board. I booked the Vatican tour and also the Rome Antica tour.

Aug 12th, 2005, 09:12 AM

Contextrome (formerly Scala Reale) is a wonderful organization, they keep their groups (at least, they used to) to 6 and under, and they are entirely reliable. Their tours of the Vatican, and of the Forum/Colosseum are just wonderful, I can vouch myself for the latter.

Other good organizations (less expensive, larger groups, and shorter tours, I think) are Enjoy Rome and Through Eternity.
Aug 12th, 2005, 09:31 AM

We used Mirabilia tours, http://www.rome-tours.com/index.shtml
Daniela Hunt was fantastic. She charges 50 Euro per hour for up to 3 ppl, then goes to 60 per hour. Having our own private (very knowledgable) guide was wonderful.
Aug 12th, 2005, 09:37 AM

Context Rome gives wonderful tours, but be aware that they are very in-depth. There have been questions about them being too highbrow, which is absolutely not the case. However, the tours are a full two hours of standing and learning. We took the Vatican and Rome Antica tours last year, and I was nearly overwhelmed at the end-- BUT I still enjoyed the experience. I mention this just to prepare anyone who is considering them to be rested and ready to really learn.
Aug 12th, 2005, 09:40 AM

Another vote for Context Rome. Our tour of the Vatican Museums was incredible (this past May). Pricey, but well, well worth it.

Other less expensive tours that I have taken in the past in Rome have been disappointing. Unfortunately, I don't remember the tour company's name. But the groups were too big, and it was often difficult to hear. On one tour we were dropped off at a gift shop for a few minutes by St. Peter's - of course this shop was priced more high than everywhere else (kickbacks for the tour company?). I didn't think a gift shop stop was a necessary part of the tour.
Aug 12th, 2005, 11:03 AM

I did an Enjoy Rome tour a few years ago and would recommend them. It's cheaper than Contextrome (at that time Scala Reale) but the tourguide was quite knowledgeable and the group not too large.
Aug 12th, 2005, 11:35 AM

One correction to rsb99's post:
Context Rome tours are four (not two) hours long.

They are very good.
Aug 12th, 2005, 11:46 AM

Oops-- no wonder I was tired!

I would still recommend them as well.
Aug 12th, 2005, 08:05 PM

Another vote for Context Rome

FYI-some of their tours are four hours,some two hours.If you're looking for a short tour,check out the Orientation Tours.In my experience,the four hour tours fly by,I'm so absorbed and inspired by what I'm seeing.

Search this Thread