What rome tour company to use?

Old Nov 19th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What rome tour company to use?

I have looked up Context tours, Rome Walks, and Angel tours. I have found several I would like to do with Rome Walks and a couple I would like to do with Angel Tours. Context seems a little high in price. Any suggestions or experiences you can tell me with these tours to help me make a decision. Thanks!
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 07:46 AM

Please check out Icon Tours. They are very reasonably priced and the tours last longer than the posted times. More bang for the buck.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 08:36 AM

There are other companies like Through Eternity and Enjoy Rome that people also like. Disadvantages of some tours that people sometimes report are that the groups can become very large (20-30 people) (that's been reported for Icon) and sometimes walks are cancelled or the expertise of the tour leader varies.
I thought Context Rome was excellent, very reliable and well-organized, only 6 in the groups, all their guides are both scholars AND
entertaining. The disadvantage of CR compared to others are that they are more expensive, and their tours longer and with more detail than some people want.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 03:43 PM

Birman, We did tours with Context Rome (3 tours) and Through Eternity (1 tour) during our week stay in Rome last week. I can recommend both companies, it depends on what and when you would like to tour and your budget.

Through Eternity does try to limit their tours to no more than 15 people, our tour in November had 8. It certainly was a bargain at 22.50 euros, discounted. We did the Colosseum and Forum with them, Marle was our guide and she was excellent. Our 2 1/2 hour tour went almost 3 1/2 hours and I could have spent the entire day with her; she was so entertaining.

All of our tours with Context Rome were exactly what you would expect with a first rate company. Guides had a genuine passion whether it was the Vatican, Borghese Gallery or Underground Rome, in our case. Tour size was small, 5 or 6 people, and worth their premium price.

I did alot of research and was pleased with both of these companies. Hope this helps you, Deborah
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 05:17 PM

We used Rome Walks for touring the Vatican and Colloseo. Both tours, and tour guides, were exceptional and both tours lasted much longer than advertized. A friend also used Context Rome (formerly knows as Scala Reale) and was very pleased. I would recommend booking with either or both of these outfits.

Anna Roz
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 05:23 PM

Here's another vote for Rome Walks. We did two tours with them (Vatican & Evening Tour) and they were wonderful.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 05:55 PM

I did some research on this site and decided on Mirabilis Tours...will post after our trip to see if it works out.

Another message board has an ongoing battle over Angel tours.... don't follow enough to quite get what the fuss is about but enough to turn me off.

Old Nov 21st, 2005, 02:14 AM

I just wanted to let you know that my boyfriend and I just returned from Rome, Florence, and Venice. We booked our Rome tour with our Florence tours through Walking Tours of Florence. I must say that the Rome tour was not that great. We could hardly hear the tour guide, he was not an English native so difficult to understand in addition to the noise around, and the tour which was supposed to be 3 hours was 4.5 b/c we spent an hour on the Coliseum. The information as not particularly interesting either. I believe the company name in Rome was called Enjoy Rome. I would avoid this company. Not the worst tour in the world, but I'm sure there are better. The Florence tours through Walking Tours of Florence were fantastic as we booked 3!!!

Best of luck.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 03:00 AM

Birman, whatever company you select make sure they have all your hotel information with phone numbers plus your travel schedule if you will not have access to a computer before your scheduled tour.
On our recent trip to Rome we had a tour scheduled with RomeWalks. We showed up for our tour at the stated time on our letter of confirmation but unfortunately they did not. They did tell me, in a follow up email after our return, that they went to great lengths to try to contact us regarding a change in our tour. Luckily Context Rome was able to get us on a tour the next day.

I would not want to be a traveler who had only one day available to see the Vatican or the Colosseum and have their tour not happen.

I would also suggest you avoid the temptation to overschedule your day with tours. Even with staying one full week in Rome there was so much to see, so many interesting tours that I did schedule one day with a tour in the morning and a tour in the afternoon. Both tours were excellent but by the end of the day we could barely stand upright . Plus we never had time to eat lunch and what a shame to miss a single opportunity to eat in Rome Deborah
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 03:48 AM

We took two Context Rome tours in June. One was of the Vatican and one was Roma Antica (forum, coloseum). Both were wonderful. I especially enjoyed the Vatican tour with Liz. I was a little tired the day we did the Roma Antica tour and it was extremely hot - so that made it a little harder (although it was still wonderful). I would highly recommend them.

I think overall the strategy of doing fewer, but better, tours was good. With only 6 people on the tour you can't go wrong.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 04:35 AM

Unlike a previous poster, I had a very good experience with Enjoy Rome. My daughter and I took their tour of ancient Rome two years ago and enjoyed it so much that we went on their tour of the Vatican later in the week. Our guide at the ancient Rome tour was a young Italian woman with very good English who was a phD candidate in classical archeology at the University of Rome. I suppose the quality of guides does vary.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 05:10 PM

My mom and I did 2 CR trips 11/04, the Vatican and Underground Rome. First class company 110% - super smart group leaders. I was so impressed with CR that I wrote thank-you notes upon our return to the States.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 08:52 PM

I'm glad to hear that an Enjoy Rome tour was good. I'm not sure if it was the guide or the noise level. He was a very nice young man, but a lot of people in the group commented that they did not find the information necessarily interesting. I was interested in a lot of the tour, however, it became quite long with 4.5 hours. Again, it's hard to critique it because I did find the tour guide to be nice... I just found the tour guide in Florence to do a much better job at keeping the attention of the group and the flow of the tours were great.

Best of luck!
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 05:17 AM

I am also going to Rome in March and looking for Tour companies.
Do you have a web address's for context rome, and Icon tours?
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 05:20 AM

We had the BEST experience with www.romeinlimo.com company during our day trip in Rome. Our driver Duman was awesome--informative, funny, patient and knew just where to take us. The personal attention from carlo at the Vatican went way above and beyond the normal customer service! If time had allowed, we would have eagerly booked another day with Their company. Duman should be Italian the Italian ambassador to the United Nations!
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 05:47 AM

http://rome.contexttravel.com/index.php?sess=ct&sr=1
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 01:16 PM

kimberly 1881 - What's the website for the Florence Walking Tours you went on?
Thanks!