Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

"Groundling" Globe Theatre tickets in July--Advice Please!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interested in several "groundling" tickets in July. Show up that day and purchase or will they be sold out? Would prefer to wait unless they sell out because of weather concerns. Also, I've read that many people leave the play early and you can purchase their tickets cheaper -- any experiences? Thanks for your advice.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 07:51 AM

I can't answer your questions specifically, except that yes a lot of people who have "groundling" standing room do leave early. It is not easy to stand upright for a three hour Shakespearean play in the hot sun (or the rain), even for an avid Shakespeare fan. I'd think it over before buying a ticket that doesn't even provide a bench to sit on -- and you know, you are not allowed to sit on the ground, or to lean against anything.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 07:55 AM

I would have to concur. I think that this was one instance where my instinct to take the cheapest option was wrong. I was exhausted after trying this.

Maybe it depends on age. My daughter is quite happy to stand for hours at a rock concert, so this might be a good option for her.

I'm not sure why you'd want to purchase a ticket from someone who left early - wouldn't that mean you missed a good part of the show? The groundling tickets were only 5 pounds a couple years ago.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 09:35 AM

You can sit on the ground during the intervals (intermission) and wander, rent a blanket if it is really cold, get a drink, etc. But you must stand during the entire performance.

Yes some groundlings do leave early - but I don't see why anyone would want to come in during the second act. Unless you just want to 'Notch your gun" that you were a groundling and don't care about the actual play.

I'd buy a seat - the theatre is small and you will be close to the stage and MUCH more comfortable.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll purchase the least expensive seats for the show. The reason I thought we would enter at some later point during the show is that I'm not sure my teenagers will be able to handle a 3 hour performance, but they are really interested in going to see a play at the Globe. I read somewhere about buying tickets from patrons leaving early, but I guess this isn't a good idea. Thanks.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 07:34 PM

I'm really trying to figure out that last post. Your teens are really anxious to see a show at the Globe, but don't care if they see the beginning and you don't think they could handle the full show. What about this doesn't make sense to me? Do you mean they want to be able to tell people they went to the Globe, but could care less if they see the play or not? The idea of seeing a play is that there is a plot you follow. Why would anybody be anxious to see a show, but not from the beginning?

Would they also be anxious to go to see a movie, but arrive halfway through?
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 08:06 PM

Shakespeare wrote with an audience's attention span in mind, so did many of his contemporaries. Two hour performances, three at best then you'll lose the crowd, they'll be off drinking and wenching!!
Now assuming wenching is not on your itinerary and you want to appreciate Shakespeare's work, then enter before the first scene and leave after the last. If you find the idea of being a groundling and standing up, even if the heaven's open, for a few hours is not what you want then get a seat.
However, if you just want to visit the Globe then take a tour. The theatre is open all year round for visitors, just buy a ticket, visit the wonderful exhibition, then let an actor take you around the stage, pit and stalls. This might be a better option.
I've fallen asleep during King Lear, and recently Hamlet at the Old Vic, so I'd never make a good groundling!! Do as you see fit, but I hope I've added some good advice.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 03:46 AM

My perspective is a bit different than other posters-
I love any kind of theater- and want my kids to love it as well. There is a five-year age gap between my boys, and that means that one of them can often tolerate more than the other. For years my younger son was a first-act wonder. We'd start out the four of us- then at intermission, my husband or I would leave with Mr. Short Attention Span and the other would stay for the whole show with the older brother. I think this worked out fine- so what if I didn't see the second act of every show? I have been to many delightful performances and will see many more by myself, the consequence has been that my younger son loves the theater and never balks at going. I know the other ticket holders seated around us were okay with it, too.
Anyway- we went to the Globe two summers ago and I was too late to get anything but groundling tickets- the show was a WONDERFUL production of "Midsummer" that we ALL would have loved to see to the end, but the discomfort of being groundlings (for us- I'm sure some fans are tougher) was such that we were all ready to leave. Had we had seats, even the younger one would have stayed.
Be that as it may, I would do it again. The tour is great, but being present at a performance was wonderful for me and the kids, even though we just saw the first act. I would go again, but only if we could sit on the hard benches like fancy folk.
Spring for the benches. If it's a good show, and it probably will be- they will probably stay to the end. I mean, really- they are teens and WANT to see Shakespeare at the Globe? They sound dreamy. Take 'em.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 04:14 AM

sbparadis, I won't argue with what you're saying, but even you are talking about arriving at the beginning and if attention fails, then leaving.

I just can't imagine coming in half way through, though. How in the world would a kid be expected to "get into it" when he wouldn't even know what was going on.

Another example. Would you pick up a book and start reading from the middle, then decide if you like the book or not and whether you want to finish it? Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to start at the beginning so you know what's going on? And wouldn't that increase your chances of enjoying it?
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 08:20 AM

yes Patrick- I would agree with you that coming in the middle is- I dunno- just not worth it.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again to everyone for their posts. We are getting bench seat tickets for A Winter's Tale. This will eliminate the weather concern, and I really believe my teens will love the performance. My initial post stemmed from the fact that they have never seen a Shakespeare play and I was a little concerned about a 3 hour performance. But, you have put my concerns to rest, and we are excited about the show. Has anyone seen A Winter's Tale?
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 06:05 AM

Winters Tale is a little bit unusual Shakespeare play. You might want to get a copy of "Stories from Shakespeare" from your library (or Borders, believe it or not I have an old old copy and wanted to get another for a friend and I found it there with the nursery rhyme books). It has summaries of the plots and other information to put into context almost any Shakespeare play. Enjoy the show!