Grindelwald help

Search

Grindelwald help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2003, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grindelwald help

I will be flying into Zurich from Seattle next month then facing a 2 hr. train ride to Grindelwald. Are there any relaxing first day activities that anyone can recommend? Nice restaurant with a view? Short walks around town? Window shopping? Gelato or ice cream? I thought we might turn in early after a short orientation tour of town before striking out on some of the longer hikes on the following days. Thanks for the help.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 01:07 PM

The trip by train from the Zürich airport to Grindelwald is over 3 hours, with a change at Interlaken Ost.
I cannot think of anything special in Grindelwald other than to become familiar with the main street of town.
It is quite extensive. I think a walk east along the main street, away from the train station, to the church and the First Gondola would be interesting to see the flowers and the buildings.

Off hand I cannot think of a restaurant with a view, unless you want to ride the gondola to First that early in your visit.

There are enough shops and places to eat/drink in Grindelwald to occupy for a couple of hours before getting a good night's sleep on a real bed.

I think a good first day trip is the lift up to Pfinstegg and the walk along the glacier to Stieregg and the restaurant. If the first full day is crystal clear,however, I think you might as well hop on the First Gondola and go for the gold, so to speak. You never know if the next day will be sunny or cloudy. The view from the gondola and from the restaurant at the gondola station at the top is incredible on a clear day.

Old Jun 10th, 2003, 01:57 PM

It's been a while since I was there, and that was in the winter. How about taking the train up to Kleine Scheidegg, sit in the restaurant, and take in the wonderful view of the Eiger? Or isn't that possible during the summer?
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 07:26 AM

Good morning, aneckc
Just a thought, might take the gondola
from Grund to Mannlichen, do'nt know of
the quality of the ristorante atop but
does have a pretty good view.
Richad of LaGrange Park, Il..
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 08:17 AM

aneckc - My wife and I just returned from a trip where we stayed 4 nights in Grindelwald. My suggestion is that if its a clear day, take a cable-car trip up to the First or the Mannlichen if its open and take advantage of the weather. If you aren't afraid of heights, this is very relaxing and easy and beautiful. If its cloudy, I recommend a stroll through Grindelwald and maybe dinner at the Belvedere; they have an excellent chef and the view into the valley is quite nice as well.