Greek Labor Day, May 1, what to do?

Old Feb 1st, 2008, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greek Labor Day, May 1, what to do?

I will only be in Athens for 2 and a half days and one of those days is May 1, Labor Day. Unfortunately, some of the biggest sites in Greece including the Acropolis do not have websites with detailed information. Will even the biggest sites in Athens be closed on this second-tier holiday? If this is the case, what do you suggest that I do for this day? Thanks
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 01:16 PM

Dawn, I will also be in Greece on May 1. I have been told all attractions will be closed. My impression is that in Greece labor Day is not a "second-tier" holiday. Everyone celebrates, goes to the Islands, or goes to the country to fly kites. After some investigation, I was given the following options: the one day, 3 island cruise; restaurants will be open; some shops will be open; and the parks and public spaces in Athens will be open. I am traveling with a friend, but we have not decided what we will do this day.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was in Heraklion on May 1 '06, and yes, attractions do close. If you're in Athens, this would be a good day to walk up the hills.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 03:27 PM

I was in Athens on May 1, 2006.

In and around Plaka, the shops and restaurants were all open.

The Lykavitos hilltop was open, as were the the unfenced sites south of the Acroplis (Pnyx & Philopappos). While these are secondary attractions, it was pleasant to walk to them without the normal crowds and heavy Athenian traffic.

Lovely views of the Ancient Agora are still possible even with the gates locked, and the Tower of the Winds site is so small you can still enjoy it from just outside its fence.

Or, just wander and get lost in the narrow, crooked streets of the Plaka, and especially the Anafiotika neighborhood below the north slopes of the Acropolis (pics here: http://www.athensinfoguide.com/photo...otikaindex.htm )

A drive , or bus tour, along the southern Attica beaches toward Cape Sounion could also be very nice, even if Sounion's Poseidon temple was closed.