1st anniversary in Greece

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This forum is great tool for people like me. I thank any readers who respond in advance for helping u sout.
My husband and I woudl like to go Greece for our first anniversary. We plan to go at the end of May for 10 days.
MY question is if we just plan to stay in athens the entire time, will that be enough time to see all there is to see in a week? We were thinking of adding an island or two but are unsure whether we should or not. Any advice about ferry bookings/flight booking is much appreciated. I would rather take day trips to the islands if possible and limit hotel expenses to Athens itself. My husband and I are our mid- late twenties and would prefer cultural trip rather than a beach one. Any advice is much appreciated.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 08:23 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I have not been to the islands other than a day trip to Aegina from Athens, which was very easy to arrange by just going to the port at Piraeus by metro and buying an inexpensive ticket.

I enjoyed Athens a lot with my 20 year old daughter, but with ten days I would try to get out for a few days. The classical sites on the mainland are not all within easy day trip distance from Athens.

We took a tour which included Mycenae, Epidaurus, Olympia, Delphi and the Meteora. All these were wonderful sites. You could rent a car and see sites on the Pelponnese or in Delphi or both. Hotels in these areas should not be more expensive than the ones in Athens.

You might be interested in my trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34589254

Photos:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&y=-b9k6sz

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 10:06 AM

7 of 10 days in Athens seems a bit much. Does the 10 days include travel days, or is that total time "on the ground"?

3 days for a 1st time visitor, will give you a pretty good overview of Athens.

I'd suggest investigating possible stays in Nafplio (about 2 hr drive from Athens), Delfi (2-3 hr drive), and/or ancient Olympia (3-4 hr drive).

"Old" Nafplio is such a pretty, charming seaside town, with easy daytrips to Mycenae & Epidavros.

A rental car (picked up on last day in Athens) would be the best way to visit these other towns and sites.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for such insights. I have alos been looking at places to see in one day and found that Delphi and Meteora are trips that usually take more than one night? I have seen advertisements for a three day trk to see almost all of the places including mycenae etc. is it reasonable to think we could see these places and still come back to atehns for the nioght? Are there reliable maps and is driving a viable option for two people living in the city of chicago where walking is how we live.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 12:55 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
There are organized day trips to Delphi, but I don't remember seeing any for the Meteora. I haven't driven in Greece but have read numerous reports here from people who did and who had no problems.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 12:57 PM

IMO three days in Athens is plenty. Combining it with the so-called "classical tour" which goes to Naphlion, Corinth, Olympia, and Delphi might also be an option or you could opt to visit a couple of the islands.

I would NOT spend the entire time in Athens.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 02:25 PM

Driving is very easy -- with a major exception in Athens, where it can be quite stressful and completely unnecessary. Great public transportation.

I would not recommend basing out of Athens for day trips. Too limiting.

Also, while Aegina, Poros and Hydra are lovely, consider something a little more special.

For an anniversary, I'd say spend a couple of nights on the caldera in Santorini. Visit Akrotiri and the museum in Fira, then ferry to either Naxos or Mykonos and do a Delos visit. Naxos haas great sites but the trip to Delos is shorter from party-happy Mykonos. The Cycladess are not just about the beaches (although Mykonos can seem that way).

Devote four days here, spend two/three in Athens and the rest touring mainland sites of your choice.

In Athens, don't miss the National Arch. Museum. Budget plenty of time and find a docent.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

I am considering a friendly planet tour of athens and Istanbul also. Are places like mycenae, meteora, corinth and delphiclose enough to athens that if we have three days, we could see it all. I suppose we could leave the islands for an exclusive trip later? The tour itinerary gives us 3 days in istanbul and 3 days in athens, is that enough time to make a comprehensive visit of atleast the mainland.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 05:35 PM

3-4 days definitely enough in Athens. You can see it all then head for the islands, much more romantic. Plan to be on Santorini for your anniversary - you won't regret it. Also: Paros, Naxos, Crete, GOOD choices! Enjoy!!!