Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Greek Labor Day on May 1 - bad day for Athens touring?

Mar 6th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

My tentative plan was to arrive in Athens on Sunday evening (April 30, 2006), and start touring on Monday.

But I notice Monday May1 is the Greek "National Labor Day".

Does the whole country shut down?
How will that affect tourist services: archaelogical sites & museums, restaurants, etc?

I'd hate to "waste" a precious day. Would it be a better plan to arrive 1 day later and miss the Labor Day?
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:03 AM

FYI: According to Athens info guide: "Archealogoical sites and museums will remain closed" on 1st of May.
http://www.athensinfoguide.com/open.htm
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:06 AM

I should also mention, that I have this problem on Easter weekend as well. I am planning on hiking the various hills in the city, visiting the kerimakos cemetary and the national gardens to occupy my time.

Cheers,

Murphy
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:07 AM

We will be in Athens on May 1st as well. Supposedly there are parades to go watch although I am not sure where they are yet. I've also been told many of the tourist shops in the Plaka area will be open, as will most restaurants
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:22 AM

murphy89 - Please remember that in Greece Easter is celebrated the week after "normal" Easter so perhaps you will be OK? i.e. Greek Orthodox calendar.

But if you are there in the festivals why not what the festivities and enjoy!
Mar 6th, 2006, 12:14 PM

Your right wilee! Greek Easter weekend is April 22nd, 23rd and 24th this year. I actually didn't realize that at first and shifted my plans to accomodate when I finally clued in. Acutally, I am looking forward to it - my research indicates there is a procession to Lykavittos hill on Good Friday, fireworks Saturday and I think it will be nice to see what festivities are around on Easter Sunday.

Cheers,

Murphy
Mar 6th, 2006, 01:47 PM

Hi murphy89 - I'll be in Athens the same weekend - do you have a location for the fireworks? I think that Saturday night is also the time for the big religious ceremony. I'm hoping for some good lamb on Sunday...