Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Greece for 10 days in May? June? Athens and...?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2008, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Plans for a trip to Italy fell through so now I'm working on planning a fantasy trip to Greece! We are fairly flexible with timing and length of trip - we were thinking maybe early May? This will be my first trip to Greece and my husband's second (he went on a Greek island's cruise with his family years ago).

I definitely want to see Athens but from what I've seen here it's not a place to stay for a full 10 days. My thought is that we could fly into Athens (we live in Europe so it's easy enough), stay for a few days and then take a (flight? ferry?) to an island and spend a few days doing nothing on a beach. I love old ruins and am a huge fan of all greek food, and would really love to relax for a few days without having any "must-sees".

Any thoughts on where to start my research? Thanks so much for your help... Pitt Purple
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 10:12 AM

Hi pittpurple,

I agree 3 nights/2 days in Athens then on to another spot - the islands or mainland (wonderful, but so often overlooked). You could hop around the Cyclades (no more than two islands I would say) or hit one of the other delightful island chains....it all just depends on your interests.

I will say the the water is cold in May - though temperatures are often quite warm. However May has far fewer tourists and cheaper prices which is lovely. If I was going specifically for the beach I would probably choose mid-late June myself.

There are any number of combinations itinerary wise for your trip. I would suggest picking up a good guide book (I think the LP for Greece is very good and the Rough Guide is an easy read to suppliment) and googling some of the islands to see what peaks your interest. I would also consider the Peloponnese - which has many lovely treasures.

Narrow it down and do ask more questions! I love Greece and I know I'm not alone.

MollyB
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 10:18 AM

I would assert that for beach lounging and ruins...Mykonos may suite you. Quite touristy, but very nice (bit expensive) - some BEAUTIFUL beaches and you could take an easy day trip to the island of Delos to see some excellent ruins. Again, depends on how off the beaten track you are looking for (which Mykonos is not).

Molly
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 10:26 AM

Crete. You can easily spend 6 days in Crete.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 11:04 AM

In early May Mykonos is quiet and beautiful.
G.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:30 PM

Hello everyone,

We are also planning a trip to Greece but probably late May, early June. We have more time than pittpurple, so any thoughts would be appreciated concerning the following. We plan two or three nights in Athens (probably at the end to make the flight back to the US easier. We definitely want to see Mykonos and Santorini - probably three nights each and are looking for another island for a few nights, or some day trips by extending either Mykonos or Santorini stays.

Delos seems incredibly interesting as do some of the sights on Crete.

I saw where Gaspard wrote that Mykonos may be quiet in May - does this hold true for late May, early June?

Thanks in advance.

Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:22 PM

I agree with Gaspard. Mykonos in early May is a great time to visit. It is quiet and peaceful and one of my favourite times to be there.

By the end of May beginning of June there will be more visitors but it will not be 'busy'. I'd say a comfortable number of people will be on the island. Not crowded at all and no queues in shops, bars or restaurants.

The beginning and end of May are great times to visit. The middle weekends though are very busy as they have many students usually visiting at that time. Thanos from the island regularly reminds folks on this board of that. Only once have I been there when the kids arrived and it was chaos!

Bill
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:15 PM

We went 1st week of May to Rhodes .. you may be able to fly direct from Europe. Temps were warm for sunbathing but the Aegean was chilly for swimming but was incredibly beautiful. It was nice that it wasn't so crowded however, the large cruise lines do stop at Rhodes port of call. We spent 5 nights here .. day trip to Lindos, you could do a day trip to Turkey or Symi (we went to Symi). We then flew over to Samos -- close to Turkey and did a day trip to visit Ephesus (outstanding!). Samos also has flights direct from Europe.