Search

Greece suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2006, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greece suggestions

Hi.
My wife & I are thinking of going to Greece next May. This will be our first time there & we will have roughly 10-11 days to spend.
Any suggestions/recommendations as to where we should go & how long?
Thanks...
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 03:02 PM

Hi dinks,

Greece has a wide range of activities and sites. What sorts of things are you most interested in? Beaches, ruins, architecture, nightlife...quiet villages?

You may be interested in my trip report and photos if your looking for some ideas:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34829349

Personally, I would spend 2 days in Athens then split my time between Chios and maybe a Cyclades island such as Mykonos or Santorini. Another good option would be to stick to wonderful mainland - or perhaps split between mainland and one island.

Be sure to ask lots of questions when you get a little further in the planning process!

Greece is wonderful!

Cheers,

Murphy
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 10:26 PM

We had a lovely 10-day trip to Greece in 2001. Spend a little time in Athens, then went on to Mykonos and Santorini - but understand that Crete is also quite lovely (highly recommended by the locals)

Though you can get to many islands via ferry or more quickly by plane, you need to determine your travel style.

We are people who like to fully explore our surroundings, so we limited the number of places we visited. This enabled us to truly get to know our surroundings and develop relationships with the locals (the Greek people are wonderful - fluent in English and very accommodating to tourists)

Do you have any particular interests (i.e, lounging on a beach, history buffs, etc? That might help narrow down your choices...
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 10:36 PM

It also depends on if you like moving around alot when you travel, or whether you would prefer to stay in a couple places for longer.

The advice I give my friends who don't like a lot of rushing around is to go to Athens for a few days and then to Crete. Why Crete over the other island? Because it is large and diverse. It is beautiful. It has fascinating ruins. Interesting and traditional villages. Cities with good restaurants. Spectacular beaches. It is also large enough that you can rent a car and enjoy driving through olive groves and rural landscapes. In other words, you can experience the diversity of Greece without having to waste your time moving from room to room, or place to place.

Don't get me wrong. Greece has many many beautiful islands. It's just that you have limited time, and going to Athens, then Crete, would allow you to maximize it.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 12:53 PM

another vote for the island of Chios. we went there (after the first couple days in Athens) because my father-in-law is from there and we visited family. but really, it's so beautiful and probably more inexpensive than the more popular islands like Mykonos or Santorini.

and i agree that, if you do athens the first 2 days, you should just pick one island and head there to relax and explore. with limited time, you dont want to spend half of it on boats between islands and packing/unpacking and changing hotels.

whether it's Chios or Crete or anywhere else, it seems most of the islands have some diversity and PLENTY of awesome beaches so don't feel like you have to island hop and see every one.

Old Oct 5th, 2006, 10:00 PM

DD was just there and loved Delphi. I was there years ago and loved Corfu, but if I went back, I think I'd go to Delphi and an island.