Greece & Rome Vacation

Aug 18th, 2003, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Greece & Rome Vacation

My husband and I are trying to plan our trip- 9 nights between Athens and Rome. Should we spend time on both Santorini and Mykonos? Or choose just one? How much time in Athens? Then, what's the best way to get to Rome? How long should we spend there? Should Capri be saved for later?
Thanks for your help!
Aug 18th, 2003, 12:30 PM

where are you flying from ? you may be able to save on air if you book with a lay over in Rome for a few days or book rt to Rome and rt to Greece it depends where you will be flying from. Santorini hotels are cheaper than Mynkonos hotels
Aug 18th, 2003, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

We already have the tix- flying into Athens and then out of Rome. Thanks for your reply. Any suggestions for lodging in Santorini?
Aug 18th, 2003, 01:07 PM

I got a good rate from the Hotel Margarita Santorini in Fira with transfers and breakfast included.www.greekhotels.com you can put a reservation request thru web site then you deal with the hotel directly by e-mail or fax or phone
Aug 19th, 2003, 12:37 AM
Intrepid

Not sure about your "best way to get to Rome" question. Do you mean the fastest...that would be by air, of course. Only other alternative would be combination of ferry to Italy and then train to Rome. Since we don;t know what your interests are it is also hard to advise you as to how long to spend in any particular place but as a generalization I would think at least three days in Rome are advisable.

Aug 19th, 2003, 07:52 PM

I stayed at the Santorini Palace, it was a great place. Paid $100/night. One thing to remember, some of the hotels which that have views of the crater are not accessible by car. You will have to walk up the hill with your bags. It's not that long of a walk, but something to consider. For 9 days, i would do 3 nights in Athens, 3 in Santorini and 3 in Rome. You don't want to cram to much into the trip...at least i prefer not to.