Honeymoon - Rome or Santorini???

Jan 13th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Honeymoon - Rome or Santorini???

Help! I have researched extensively and cannot seem to make a decision. We are going on a honeymoon this May and are debating between Rome and Santorini. Ideally we would like to stay in one place, not too much trekking and be able to see beautiful things and have relax time too. It just seems like Santorini will be beautiful, but will we be bored being there a week? Doesn't seem like there are a lot of attractions aside from eating and looking at the amazing view. Rome holds a lot of interesting sites that we'd love to see, but is it too much of a busy city for my husband and I to enjoy quiet time? It seems both places offer one thing, but not both. Please correct me if I am wrong!!
I anyone has any advice from their experiences, it would be much appreciated. Also in terms of budget, would a week in either place be pretty similar?I am flying from Toronto. Thanks!!
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:39 AM

As much as I love Rome, Santorini is special for honeymoons. I think I would spend 2 nites in Athens on the backend. We loved staying in Oia at the Esperas.
Jan 13th, 2006, 09:19 AM

I totally agree with bobthenavigator. Having been to both and I did honeymoon in Greece (Athens, Santorini & other islands), there is no doubt that Santorini would again be my choice. Rome is fantastic but Santorini reeks romance. Adding Athens at the tail end for two days gives you the attractions and activities to make for a perfect honeymoon. Budget is such a relative thing, but, with my experience, Rome would be more costly for the week. Gee, in Santorini accommodations range from <50 Euros to 450 + Euros a night. It depends on your taste etc. You’ll love Santorini and save Rome for an anniversary
Jan 13th, 2006, 09:27 AM

Another vote for Santorini. By adding Athens for a couple of days you'll have a well-rounded experience.