Glacier Express?

Aug 17th, 2003, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Glacier Express?

We are planning to take the Glacier Express (I guess from Zermatt to St. Moritz)in early October. Can anyone recommend cheap lodging at the end of the line? After a 7-8hr trip, it seems like we would want to eat and spend the night. Anything under CHF150? Anyone tried the Stille Hostel or the Sporthotel Stille? Or should we go back to Chur for the night?
Thanks for comments on this trip. It's a bit expensive but sounds breathtaking.
Aug 18th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Intrepid

If you aren't too much of a "hotel snob" you might consider staying at the Best Western Albana or the Steffani..both are right in the center of the village. Stayed in the Albana two years ago before departing on the GE to Zermatt. Very comfortable, large room, clean..typical Swiss hotelkeeping situation.
There is NO reason for you to return to Chur IMO.
At that time of year a lot of the larger hotels may be closed awaiting the start of the "season" which kicks off in late November/early December...so the rates should be pretty good too.
If you're there for a day following you might consider taking the gondola up to the top of things for a breathtaking lookout. Hope this helps.

Aug 18th, 2003, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Intrepid,
No, we're not hotel snobs; we're just cheap. Any idea what the Best Western or the Steffani cost? I haven't come across them in my guidebooks.
Aug 18th, 2003, 11:27 PM
Intrepid

Go to www.bestwestern.com and type in St. Moritz for the city and Switzerland for the country and both will come up. Alternatively you could call their international reservations number...I don't know that these two are any better than the hotels you're already looking at but just offered the suggestion...I cannot remember how much we paid for the Albana when we stayed a couple of years ago...but again, I'm sure you'll find something reasonable without going back to Chur..and enjoy the Glacier Express..spectacular scenery!

Aug 19th, 2003, 12:03 PM

Both Albana and Steffani are far beyond 150 CHF per room and night.

I suggest you get off the Glacier Express one (Celerina) or two (Samedan) stops before approaching St. Moritz. Both Celerina and Samedan are nice small villages, less expensive and charming.

For Celerina:

www.chesa-nick.ch 140 - 190 CHF, a nice B&B
and
http://www.alte-brauerei.ch/

Or in Samedan:

http://www.hirschen-samedan.ch/ 150 CHF, a nice small hotel in the old town.

http://www.samedan-tourismus.ch/loge...sses_kreuz.htm 124 CHF, an inn with long tradition in the old town.

All the acc. I mentioned are about 5 minutes walking distance from the railway stations. Websites in German only, but you can see pictures and rates at least.

Enjoy! Ingo
Aug 19th, 2003, 12:16 PM
Intrepid

Well pardon me..since Ingo has apparently thoroughly researched the prices in St. Moritz for you I guess you'll just have to skip going there!

Aug 19th, 2003, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Well, I appreciate any and all comments. I still have to do my own research to come up with what's best for us.
Is it possible to go to St. Moritz and then back to either Samedan or Celerina the same night? I'm not sure what time the train arrives. Late afternoon, I think.
Aug 19th, 2003, 05:46 PM
tondalaya

Prices have risen since Intrepid has been there. I recently found higher rates. So I would do alittle more research.

Aug 19th, 2003, 05:49 PM

What's so bad about ending up in Chur instead of St. Moritz? You could then daytrip over to Arosa, or head up through Bergun (a great ride) and Poschiavo later...
Aug 19th, 2003, 09:10 PM

It is easy to go back to Celerina or Samedan the same day. Trains and buses are running frequently. On the other hand, you could have a break in either Celerina or Samedan and check in and later continue to St. Moritz and do a stroll there around the nice lake, which is right next to the station.