Greece and France trip-pretty cool!

Aug 3rd, 2003, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Greece and France trip-pretty cool!

Just returned from a pretty cool trip to Santorini, Paros, Athens and Paris, France.
Saw the sights, did the ferries between islands, had fun attempting French and Greek.
In the end, people are people-most are courteous and helpful, a few more "impatient" rather than rude. As a "potentially" cold New Yorker myself, (as my wife tells me), my basic intro in Paris for anything other than something basic, with "parlez-vous Anglais," was met with "un peu." After that, we got along fine. I had no problem with the French people, something you do read about in the U.S.
The rudest people on the whole trip were the always "pissed-off" airline attendants-all American-on our return flight on United Airlines.
Quick recap:
Santorini-incredible views, unreal sight. Stayed in Oia, like anold country village. Cave houses are cool, but bedrooms built deeper into caves (picture Mickey-mouse ears) a little claustrophobic-creeped out my daughter. Great seafood here, though.
If you go, go to the bottom by the sea where the Greeks go and jump into the stunningly clear Aegean water.
Paros-neat fishing town-stayed at Naoussa. Ok beaches, great seafood.
Take the ferries (Bluestar) for the experience, but bump to first class otherwise you're hanging with the napsack crew laying around the decks like its a beach, unless thats your taste.
Athens-Acropolis is great. If you're a big city person in the US, its like that, but lots more history. Changing of the Guard in Parliament is pretty neat also. Pretty hot in July, though.
Overall, Greek people are great-and they all seem to speak English.
Paris-Great city. Unbelievable baked goods, chocolate, duck, wine, on and on-AND EVERYWHERE YOU GO! The cafe culture is a blast, the history is incredible-takes you back to 4th grade. The city is alive and kickin everywhere. The Louvre building, Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triumph, on and on are incredible.
The metro system is so easy and is excellent.
Check out Versaille and the the Catacombs, too.
I'm a native New York City fellow and frankly, I think Paris is better.
For style, Europeans seem to have it all over Americans. They are truly much more polished dressers. Lets see if that leads to debate.
I figured I'd drop some thoughts on this forum since it was so helpful in planning my trip. Anyone seeking further thoughts, feel free to email me at [email protected].
Mark
Aug 3rd, 2003, 07:16 AM

OP wrote: For style, Europeans seem to have it all over Americans. They are truly much more polished dressers. Lets see if that leads to debate.

No argument there, it's the undeniable truth.
Aug 3rd, 2003, 07:23 AM
Degas

I agree that europeans are way ahead of us in fashion - wearing black socks with white tennis shoes and sandels is a winner. And the cute little leather hand purses all the guys flaunted on the street was a real keeper as well.

Aug 3rd, 2003, 07:27 AM
ira

Glad yu enjoyed your trip, Mark.

Don't mind Vegas, he needs his meds again.
Aug 3rd, 2003, 07:37 AM
Degas

ira, thanks for reminding about the meds. Do I double up if I've missed a day?

Aug 3rd, 2003, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Actually Degas-you raise a good point.
Calls for an asterisk.
I'm afraid I spent most of my time looking at (admiring?) the ladies.
I did notice some men with "purses" and many men wearing "capri" style pants.
Sorry, that didn't cut it with me so exclude them. But the ladies...now we're talking about putting steam in a man's stride.
Aug 3rd, 2003, 11:14 AM

Mark Great trip report. Nice to read one that just got to the point. So glad you and your family had such a good time. Happy travels! CJ
Aug 3rd, 2003, 01:22 PM
ira

Hi Degas,

Yes, double up.