Back From Greece 2nd Trip This Summer

Old Sep 29th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back From Greece 2nd Trip This Summer

I arrived back last week from our second trip and started to write a lengthy report but to be honest I'm too tired. On the first trip (late June, early July) my husband and I were travelling with his brother and best friend Jean Marc who posted a few questions about Mykonos and Santorini on the board.

Trip one took us to Spetses where we get to stay for free with at the aunt and uncle's hotel from there we drove to Meterora we stayed at Koka Roka (Arthur who owns the inn and I didn't end up good friends but I like his Mom a lot). From Meteora we drove to Metsovo my husband was determined to make a pilgramage to the Katogi Averoff winery. We stayed at a lovely hotel called Galaxia, they have a great restaurant in their garden. From Metsovo we drove to Igomenitsa to catch the ferry to Corfu. In Corfu we stayed the Sunrocks, it was bad, very bad. I was never so lead astray by a website or tripadvisor before. We ended up moving to the hotel next door. From Corfu JM and Issam flew to Athens to go to Mykonos and we drove to Patras to meet up with family before going to Athens for our cousin's wedding.

The second trip we were travelling with another couple and my Dad (this is his 3rd trip to Greece with us). We spent the first night in Athens at the Attalos I noticed the furniture in the rooms have been updated. The next day we left Athens and drove to Delphi in our two rental cars (22 euro/day with Thrifty) . We stopped for lunch in Arohava it was our first time there and what a pleasant surprise the town is beautiful. From Delphi we were off to see the family in Patra. In Patra we relaxed, picked figs and went to the beach.

We returned the rental cars at the airport and caught an Aegean Air flight to Rhodes. We stayed at Niki's hotel in Rhodes which is in the heart of the old town and we loved it a great bargain at 35 euros. In Rhodes we spent one day in Lindos, one day touring the Old Town and going to the beach and one day driving in the interior stopping at a winery and having lunch at a monastary that was hosting a bar-b-que to raise money for a soccer team they also had homemade loukamades to die for.

From Rhodes we went to Patmos and we had our first hiccup of the trip we were on a small high speed catamaran and the seas were super rough and everyone but my Dad and I in our party along with three quarters of the ship were all very seasick. It was a long 5 hour boat ride. Patmos is a beautiful island and probably has the friendliest locals I have met in all of Greece. We stayed at Asteri and it's a great hotel unfortunatley there was a very rude group of painters staying there as well. In Patmos we visted the cave of the Apocolypse and the monastary of St.John we also had a fun evening at Aloni where they have live entertainment.

Due to the windy weather that caused the rough seas on our way to Patmos we were not able to go to Samos as we had planned luckily for us we had not made deposits at our hotel but my Dad had a plane ticket from Samos back to Athens that Olympic did refund. We were limited on our choices about where to go because only the biggest and slowest boats were moving in these seas. So we caught the Blue Star at midnight that was going to Syros than Piraeus it was the biggest Blue Star boat I had ever seen and it was full to capacity and the only tickets left were economy which meant we spent 4 hours sitting on the floor but at least no one got seasick.

We arrived in Syros at 4 or 5 in the morning and the incredibly sweet people at the Hotel Benois in Gallisas got up and showed us to our room (this was our 2nd time at this hotel). I highly recommend not only this hotel but also this island. It's one of the greek islands I think I would be very happy to live on. Syros has a cosmoplitan city, beautiful clean beaches and a nice Greek feel as opposed to touristy feel.

My Dad left us after three nights in Syros to ferry back to Athens and home to Canada and the other couple left us after two nights to spend two nights in Paros before going to Santorini for 4 nights. George and I spent one more day in Syros by ourselves just relaxing and trying decide what we wanted to do next.

We chose Naxos an island we had been to before. We stayed Hotel Glaros on St.George beach. We had a great time in Naxos again the wind finally died down it was nice and warm perfect for Naxos's beautiful beaches. We rented a scooter and spent a wonderful day in Halki with Katherine Bolesch and Alexander Reichardt who own L'Olivier. I wish we had more money and a better and safer way to transport their creations back to the US, for any one whose been to their store I'm sure you know what I mean. National Geographic was leaving their store when we arrived they were doing a special on their ancient designs and the way they make their stoneware.

We cancelled our free night at the Grand Bretagne to spend an extra night in Naxos at the Glaros and we didn't regret it. We still spent one in Athens so we could hook up with some friends. We stayed at the Hotel Pan which I had no info on before hand. It wasn't bad and certainly was fine in a pinch it's on Mitreopolis Street close to Syntagma, 80 euro no breakfast.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 12:13 PM

Thanks for a great report Trish. We too had a wonderful trip to Greece last month, but your report proposes new places if we are able to go back again. I loved all your specifics--it's a great help. Glad you had such a fine trip.

Take care,
Robyn France
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

RobynFrance, between all the islands and the mainland there so much to see in Greece you'll have to make a trip back sometime. My husband doesn't want to back to Greece next summer so we're planning on renting a house in France for a few weeks which should be great it's just hard not to plan that trip back to Greece.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 09:23 AM

We gingerly transported a couple of pieces from L'Olivier last year -- and thankfully both survived. Fantastic place . . . and the Kitron distillery is a nice stop as well.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Repete, I wish we could have bought more eveything was so nice but it's scary trying to get everything packed safely. We stopped at the Kitron Distillery too my god that stuff could blow your socks off! I love my wine but I am not to much of a liquor drinker and found the Kitron a bit strong. Anyway I did buy a bottle for the Greek inlaws, hope they like it!